brembo calipers seizing

kernow zed

Appears that there is a non removable thin plate inside the caliper that has become corroded and is not lying flush against the caliper wall.is it possible to refurbish this or do i need to obtain a second hand but sound caliper. I know the oem ones from nissan are extortionate

Do you mean the two plates which sit at each end of the pads ? Corrosion behind these usually pushes the plates forward causing the pads to be a tight fit. Usual trick to fix this is to grind the metal off the end of the pads a bit. Though not too much so they are loose.

Do you mean the two plates which sit at each end of the pads ? Corrosion behind these usually pushes the plates forward causing the pads to be a tight fit. Usual trick to fix this is to grind the metal off the end of the pads a bit. Though not too much so they are loose.

Yes thats the problem although i would prefer to get rid of the corrosion rather that shave bits off the pads tbh

Ok

Yes thats the problem although i would prefer to get rid of the corrosion rather that shave bits off the pads tbh

May have to get them refurbed then if that's the case.

Think there held in with some Allen head screws from memory. I tried to remove mine to clean the corrosion off but they were stuck solid so resorted to the grinder.

Edited by SHEZZA

Plate lift due to corrosion is pretty common on older Brembo callipers, loads of Porsche callipers with issues

I think it can be a torx or hex bolt, I would inspect closely. Bolt is likely to be well seized in, as well as loctited, heat can be useful. If its totally ruined then splitting the calliper gives access to weld on a nut, or drill it out.

Not the same calliper, but same idea (pictures from the internet)

plate_lift_1.jpg

plate_lift_4.jpg

plate_lift_3.jpg

Pads can be shortened as a temp solution to get the car mobile, file, linisher etc

You can DIY if you have the tools/skills/time or send them off to get done.

• Thanks 1

Plate lift due to corrosion is pretty common on older Brembo callipers, loads of Porsche callipers with issues

I think it can be a torx or hex bolt, I would inspect closely. Bolt is likely to be well seized in, as well as loctited, heat can be useful. If its totally ruined then splitting the calliper gives access to weld on a nut, or drill it out.

Not the same calliper, but same idea (pictures from the internet)

plate_lift_1.jpg

plate_lift_4.jpg

plate_lift_3.jpg

Pads can be shortened as a temp solution to get the car mobile, file, linisher etc

You can DIY if you have the tools/skills/time or send them off to get done.

Thanks a lot. Very useful information