Starter motor/solenoid issue

TomsThreeFiddy

Hi guys, long story short my '53 plate 350z wouldn't start the morning after a long journey and I couldn't jump it from my dad's car battery either so I had to call out the RAC.

Basically when I turn the ignition the current dips as usual but I just hear a click instead of a V6 (a problem I've experienced before but always seemed to revolve itself). After testing the battery the RAC guy bump started the car and said the solenoid is sticking and that I would need a new starter motor.

I looked up the price for one of these and was horrified as I originally thought my problems would be solved with a new battery or alternator belt.

My question is do I really need a new starter motor if the issue is something sticking? The starter motor is looking at costing approx £320, could anyone estimate how much would labour be if this was to be the only course of action?

Regards,

Tom

You need to get a known good battery for starters (pardon the pun) What condition/age are both batteries?

If the voltage dips below 10 volts under load then I would say the battery is knackered.

Although checking voltages is only an indication, I would measure with a multimeter and not rely on the cars gauges.

First thing then is to try a new, or known good battery imo before turning your attention towards the starter.

Had same problem myself over about last 6 months. Just thought the battery ( even though I replaced it) still wasn't up to the job of cranking it over.

However!, it finally wouldn't start at all. Just a click. Battery fully charged etc but nothing. Even jump wouldn't get it to crank.

Mate came over and, without a doubt, starter motor knackered!Ho Hum

So pm'd ZMANALEX on Forum, has used starters available, not re-conded, just used.

They aren't that easy to get off and on but if you're ok with working under the car then it is very do able.

Result, perfect starting everytime. Job done. Wished I had know it was this problem ages ago.

Cost - pm ZMANALEX, nowhere near what you quoted.

Time- about 1 hour on and off with car on front wheel jacks

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna take out the battery and fully charge it just in case and if that still doesn't work (I'm expecting it won't) I'll have a gander at used motors, had a few very reasonable offers already considering how extortionate new ones are.

I won't be able to do the work myself as I don't have the space/tools/knowledge however if you think it's approx an hour's work that wouldn't be too bad a labour cost.

Get out a screw driver and a hammer, give a good hard wack, that'll shock it out and it might start then. If not you could take it apart and give it a good clean, that'll work OR it's not getting the full amount of amps required, so a relay is a possibility. Maybe this is only possible with older cars. not so sure with the zed.

Hi guys, bit of an update.

No luck from charging the battery as expected. I've had an offer for a new starter motor for £140 inc vat and delivery, and an offer for a used one for £40 delivered. So I'm debating which to go for ATM as I'm unsure on typical life expectancy of starter motors and whether mine just went due to bad luck.

My question currently is how does one test a starter motor under load before installing? (If I decided to for a used part). Is there a way to mimic the force required to start the 350z engine or do you need a specific piece of kit?

I'm only wondering this as I wouldn't want to pay labour to install a starter motor that spins when connected to a battery, but is unable to turn the engine once installed.

Any insight is much appreciated,

Tom