Clutch problems

350zPabs

Hi everyone I just wanted to get a bit of advice about my clutch before I speak to Nissan who will probably just tell me I need a new clutch even if I don't :lol:

So yesterday as I left the stand at bhp fuel fest whilst having hardly any throttle on, soon as the car got to around 2500rpm the clutch would just slip giving hardly any drive and the revs would just go up like it was in neutral. After free wheeling and using the clutch as little as possible in the que getting out I pulled out onto the main road in second and gave it above half throttle and let the revs come up high and the clutch didn't slip at all so I slowed back down still in second and stamped on the throttle and the car just pulled hard and no slip from the clutch. I tried doing this another 6/7 times on the way home and every time the car just pulled hard with no slip from the clutch which has left me confused. I wouldn't of though the clutch is going already as the car has only done 28000 miles. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Paolo.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my Zed (03 JDM). The clutch was slipping over time and then totally went with no bite at all at about 50k miles. From what I found out when I asked on here about it the stock clutches have been known to die as soon as 25,000 miles.

The other problem is the stock clutch assembly has a dual-mass flywheel, which in short is more expensive to replace and not as good as a single mass.

Bottom line, I'd get both changed before you end up out in the sticks needing recovery. I went to Clark Motorsport (trader on here) and they sorted me right out.

I went for a Competition Clutch lightweight flywheel teamed with their Stage 2 racing clutch. Much racier feel than the stock, just a bit noisy at really low revs.

From what I've heard on here Exedy make a clutch which has the closest feel to the stock one.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprising! Many members have stock clutches that have lasted well into the early 100k bracket and then some. Mine is on the stock clutch and its absolutely fine covering almost 80k. It might have something to do with person who owned it before you. Pulling away in 2nd a lot or even 3rd :thumbdown: (as my dad has done on a few occasions which has led to his ban of driving the zed) is not a good idea.