Not for modified cars?

dajw

I called earlier today to see about a quote, and was told that "we don't cover modified cars". The agent advised that we could go with a book value from Glass' guide, but that's pretty much it. I appreciated the frank honesty though — better know early than waste time gathering information then be told!

So I've stayed with Adrian Flux/Equity Red Star on a policy that covers the modifications as well as a small premium on top for an agreed value policy. The price is fair (but not amazing), but I would have liked to be able to shop around more successfully.

I couldn't find much on this forum about modified cars so thought I'd share my experience.

Edited by dajw

I called earlier today to see about a quote, and was told that "we don't cover modified cars".

I don't know who you spoke to but that's simply not true. We work with around 200 car clubs/forums and modified cars are a regular feature of the business we write. Perhaps your modification results in an increase in bhp of more than 100 over stock? That's a limit we have but to say we don't cover modified vehicles at all is absolutely incorrect.

I called earlier today to see about a quote, and was told that "we don't cover modified cars".

I don't know who you spoke to but that's simply not true. We work with around 200 car clubs/forums and modified cars are a regular feature of the business we write. Perhaps your modification results in an increase in bhp of more than 100 over stock? That's a limit we have but to say we don't cover modified vehicles at all is absolutely incorrect.

I did wonder. My car at stock baselined at 303 bhp, and finished at 488 bhp on the same dyno. It is probably slightly lower after some additional changes but either way that's 185 bhp over stock.

The question didn't come up though — I opened the call to explain that I have a modified 370z and I'm looking for a policy that covers the car, the modifications etc. and was told right away that "we won't cover you" or words to that effect. I did explain that I have an agreed value policy with the other insurer and was looking to compare products and prices as it is good to shop around. I also told her that I found CK via this forum.

Oh well! Distance selling regs mean it isn't too late if you can actually offer a quote.

Right, it's the Agreed Value on such a new and modified vehicle that was the issue. Normally AV is reserved for collector's cars. The Glass's guide thing came into the mix when we were talking about GAP cover but this would not apply to a modded car anyway. Sorry for the confusion.

Our standard cover does provide like for like replacement of mods as a result of accident damage but not in the event of a write-off.

Edited by CK@Chris Knott Insurance

Thanks for the clarification. Makes good sense. I did manage to find an AV policy via Equity Red Star, which was about £50 on top of my base policy. Seems fair enough. They want 7 recent photos of the car and a list of mods.

• Like 1