370Z OEM air intake pipes can be used on any induction filters?

JunZ

Hi all, I'm not sure if this has been covered (if it is I'm sorrry for posting it again) I was thinking of getting K&N Panel filters for 100 pounds (x2) and then I changed my mind, I heard Apexi induction filters are quite good when it comes to filtering and other staff.

now I'm thinking of getting the Apexi filters but can I use OEM pipes? instead of getting a set of intake pipes.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JunZ

• 1 month later...

Ive thought about this! I gather it would work if you git the right sized cone filter, but its never going too look as good as a full blown k&n system. But at £500! I can see why your thinking about it :) ðŸ‘

Well I've got mixed opinions on the K&N drop in filters, mine came with them and to be honest they make no difference. You have to oil them as well which personally I'm not a fan of. I just managed to source a pair of the cassettes which have been cut out to let more air in, they also came with nearly new 500mile HKS green filters, so a quick 1 minute job of dropping in the new cassettes with the HKS. Took car for a drive today and it sounds awesome when giving it beans really meaty and loud over 4k, reminds me of my old K&N CAI on my 350z but without the £500 price tag.

I'll probably get flamed for heat soak etc but cant see it being any worse than the cone filters and let's face it I'm quids in.

I'm going to test my K&N's as well and see what they sound like with the cut out cassettes.

I've also got a long drive on Sunday so will see if any performance issues. I've also read up on head soak and there seems to be a lot of talk about it affecting turbos more than n/a but I'm a novice when it comes to these things. I also read about the metal pipes from the induction creating additional heat soak as opposed to staying with the oem plastic. But the guy who sold me the cassettes had them in his 370z nismo without any issues.

A great mod and I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk on it.

Edited by NWZ

I'm probably being a bit dim but I can't work out from the pictures what the modification actually is. Assuming the cassettes are the plastic holder that you pull out of the air box and which hold the filter in place, how are they different to the OEM ones / where have they been cut? Thanks.

Edited by sipar69

That's correct guys, I did a 250 mile drive yesterday and part way I swapped my modded cassettes with my originals and put it this way with the originals there is no intake noise - just like OEM but with the modded cassettes that's a different story - WOW...I'm so impressed, the best cheapest mod by a million zillion miles. Now when booting it over 3.5k revs it sounds epic.

I'll try and take a close up pic of what's been done this week.