Battery Ah / CCA etc

allaboutthepasty

Evening All,

So I went to start the car this morning, the engine turned over but would not fire up. Had a look on the forums and ruled out NATS as the red LED goes out once the ignition is on.

Code reader is throwing up nothing.

Can hear the fuel pump prime after releasing the air from the tank.

Voltmeter is showing 12V but from what other people have said, this means absolutely nothing.

Haven't got a jump starting machine so can't try that so I've popped the battery out tonight and put it on charge to see if it helps. I've had the current battery about a year now and it's spec'd at 60Ah and 390A (beleive that is the CCA?). I can't really find much online / in the manual etc and I'm no expert at all on the electrical side, but could this be a bit small?

Would it be worth just buying a new battery and ditching the current one and if so which size should I opt for? A few people have said it should be a minimum of 500CCA? Could this be the reason I may have killed mine after 1yr?

Cheers

This is the battery you need:-

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Nissan_350Z_3.5_2004/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770057&1&0d54b4ba8f24a448bcc305b273440d5345f500dc&000020

The Cold Cranking Amp rating of this battery is 540A. That will not be the only determining factor however, you need to consider, journey length/time and what you are ussing electrically, headlights/AC/heated seats etc etc. Have you left anything switched on, obvious I know but worth asking the question. When did you last use it before this morning?

Only been doing short journeys, 10 miles each way to work. Had the electric seats, ac, stereo and headlights on as it's always dark when I travel. Hadn't left anything on, checked the boot as I've fallen for that one before where it wasn't shut properly and the light drained it.

It had been stood on the driveway for 3-4 days.

Think you just answered your own question, a good charge should bring it back, the electric heated seats will be drawing a lot of current, whats the voltage reading when you're driving (charging). The cold weather doesn't help either, especially when you are doing such short journeys and then leave it for 3/4 days. Might be worth getting a trickle charger or if you can't hook that up to the car then take it for a run every couple of days if you are going to let it stand for 3/4 days. Warmer weather and longer days are not far away (hopefully) so you may get away with it this year but you'll probably need a new battery next winter.

• Like 1