HR 350z auto tensioner too tight?

HR_TriFidyZ

I've recently aquired an 08 350z HR and noticed that my auto-tensioner indicator is towards the RHS of the markings. I started looking around this area as I have a whiring sound I can hear from within the car.

From what I've read this means there is more tension on the belt than required. If the belts are too tight is there still adjustment I can make and if it was once set correctly how could it gain tension?

The car has 15k miles on the clock.

post-24513-0-94109300-1421002829_thumb.jpg

that is the correct position, the markings are for when you release the belt by inserting a 3/8 wrench & turning anti clockwise until the two holes align. then insert an M6 bolt or something similar to lock the tensioner off whilst you change the belt. There is no adjustment on the tensioner. If your hearing a 'whiring' noise there is possible a spun bearing on one of the pullies, but with your mileage I would think that is highly unlikely

Edited by Darren-B

Thanks for the input guys.

I have since found the correct page in the Nissan service manual which states the indicator should be in-between the two outer marks for the belt to be within it's "possible use range" with a new belt being towards the LHS.

I'm just a fan of preventative maintenance that's all :)

post-24513-0-14209800-1421101198_thumb.jpg

Edited by HR_TriFidyZ

This was the same when I put a new belt on mine, and the car only had about 7k on it.

Rather than too much tension, I just took it as being a marginally longer belt, even though it is genuine Nissan.

It's now on about 8.5k, nearly two years later and the marks are the same, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.