fuse popping all the time....

zebedy

Im in the process for buiding a speaker build set up behind the seats of my Roadster and have hit a problem last night.

The two cubby holes that are located either side of the rear cigarette lighter socket.

Ive taken the doors of these and will be putting frosted perspex on the front with a 350z logo on them or something. To illuminate the inside of each cubby Ive bought a set of blue interior LED lights which uses a cigarette lighter socket.

So what I did was to cut the socket off and pulled the connector off from the back of the cars cigarette lighter, and hard wired the lights in. All seems straight forward.

But for what ever reason the thinner cables for the led lights become very hot whilst on and eventually the 15amp fuse in the footwell pops. How is this happening as the lights draw very little power. Could it be the fact that Ive hooked them up to a much thicker wiring loom of the cigarette lighter socket behind??

There may be a resistor in the socket for the light which drops the power down for the LEDS??

THANKS

PHOTOS SOON, when i finish

• 3 weeks later...

It does sound very straight forward what you've tried to do. The fact that the wires are getting hot means that there is a lot of current running through them, a lot more than those cables are designed to handle.

Halfway through reading that I did wonder whether there was some sort of resistor, or maybe a small transformer that you've managed to bypass by cutting the connector off. Also, I would imagine there is a fuse in the connector, might be worth having a look what sort of rating that is.

Could there be a short somewhere, or maybe a grounding issue?