Clutch pedal clunk/twang - is there a better fix?

JB-)

After plenty of searching for a cure for the common clicky clutch pedal problem, the only answer I can find is keep lubing it. Well after going through half a can of white grease it's the same. So has anyone found a better cure, or know what the actual cause is?

Also, if I strip it down to have a closer look at it, does the mechanism go back together easily or is it one of those that's a bitch to reassemble?

Ta!

The spring is there to make the clutch feel a bit lighter, IF the clutch is adjusted correctly, if not it will feel worse, some people just get rid of the spring, but it will make the clutch feel heavier, but not by much, Nissan got the fulcrum point of the pedal wrong which make it feel so heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, removed the assist spring which makes no difference to how heavy the pedal feels. Makes me wonder why they even bother fitting it. Anyway, a slight click remains. Removing the spring has made it barely noticeable but it seems to be the same click just not as bad. Can't work out why the spring makes it worse though considering where and how it fits. Can't work out where the click is actually coming from either, but at least now it not bad enough to bother about.