Uneven light levels from 2005 import

The Seasider

Strangely, I don't drive much in the dark but obviously now as the nights are drawing in its a bit inevitable!

I noticed this week that one headlight is brighter than the other on dipped beam - similar whiteness, just one is brighter than the other but even the dim one is still shedding a serviceable level of light at present

I appreciate that this will require a bit of speculation but ahead of a likely strip down what is likely to be the problem? Now that my pet garage is 25 miles away I like to try and go with all angles covered as it's cheaper on a time + hassle v money basis to just go armed withe everything and then either mothball the extra components or eBay them on!

I would imagine it could be a failing ballast or mismatching bulbs - has anybody got any other thoughts?

Is my old friend zmanalex the best source for ballast - are they universal or do you have to specify right/left

Could anyone help with a bulb spec - I think they are D2R's but I've noticed they do them with various intensities - is 5 to 6k about right?

Oh, just as an afterthought - if I decide to take it on myself, I can get the bumper off okay how do you handle or not handle the bulbs - are there any secrets? Gloves?

By way of a bit of an update - after a decent run I checked the lights when I got home tonight and the light from them was pretty indistinguishable?

When I checked them previously I guess I had just switched them on - when one was brighter than the other - would this suggest a failing ballast?