Taking the Zed off the road over winter

nictry

The expected 'ouch' of the £500 VeD letter came through this morning and got me thinking about how much I am realistically going to use the roadster over the winter period and whether if the tax had run out at the end of Sept instead of now I may have SORN'd it from Oct to March/April instead?

So I was thinking about the following - tax it for now for 12 months and then either just before end of Sept (if weather turns sh*t) or end of Oct to claim a refund and the. Re-tax it at end of March - are there any flaws to this plan, I don't think i get shafted for fees by DVLA and I will keep it insured so no issues there?

What about the Zed itself, I would plan to let it run and also move it around a bit on the drive so it doesn't seize up too much but other than the usual advice on leaving cars for too long anything specific I should look out for?

Any advice before I implement this money saving plan?

Moisture is your biggest enemy.

My previous car (MR2 Roadster) was off the road for a year and certain painted metal parts in the interior corroded. It was kept in a garage and driven every 2-3 weeks.

My 350z has slight bubble on the bonnet lip (moisture getting under the paint) and the headlights have had moisture inside and left marks. All due to lack of use from previous owners.

A dehumidifier in a garage would be ideal IMO.

It would be staying on the drive rather than in a garage, I was thinking about a cover but not sure if that would exacerbate the issue or make it better?

Not sure but car covers can flap about in the wind and wear the paintwork on the corners from what I've heard.

Unfortunately, extended periods of no use is not good for cars ... unless you have a garage like Jay Leno.

466abf0e765bab9911ce16ffeb95e5cb.jpg