Plastidipped Wheels For Winter Protection

pjf1985

I've been thinking of getting my wheels plastidipped for the winter months to protect them. Would they offer pretty good protection? If not, besides having a set of winter wheels, what else could I try? Also I have some sealant I can apply.

Edited by pjf1985

I would say they are perfect for winter protection. However, make sure you get good coverage on all sides of the spokes otherwise it's a bit fiddly to get off. I took the plastidip of my wheels after 2 and a bit years and they look brand new underneath, no damage etc.

The dip on 3 wheels came off pretty much in 1 piece but one wheel (not enough layers as I was running out) was a bit fiddly and came off in pieces.

• Like 1

I would say they are perfect for winter protection. However, make sure you get good coverage on all sides of the spokes otherwise it's a bit fiddly to get off. I took the plastidip of my wheels after 2 and a bit years and they look brand new underneath, no damage etc.

The dip on 3 wheels came off pretty much in 1 piece but one wheel (not enough layers as I was running out) was a bit fiddly and came off in pieces.

OK thanks for the advice, Now I just need to decide which colour to go for :yahoo:

Suggestions anyone?

Edited by pjf1985

Ah..........would be interested in the plastidip if that's what you choose. I kept my Rays for winter, but they're fitted with Lassa tyres that aren't good in the wet. Swapping decent tyres for poor ones when the weather gets worse doesn't make sense. But then buying a set of winter tyres for a car I don't use that much doesn't make financial sense. Coating new wheels could be the answer.

• Like 1

Ah..........would be interested in the plastidip if that's what you choose. I kept my Rays for winter, but they're fitted with Lassa tyres that aren't good in the wet. Swapping decent tyres for poor ones when the weather gets worse doesn't make sense. But then buying a set of winter tyres for a car I don't use that much doesn't make financial sense. Coating new wheels could be the answer.

Yes, it does look pretty simple to use, plus if you're not happy then just peel it off, simples! :)

I just had a look and the price of the cans have gone up so much! They were only around £9 when I got mine!!!

Yeah they're pretty much double that now unless you go with the cheap stuff, but I wouldn't risk it.