Envy 350Z

bigphil

Met up with Kevin at Envy today and had a spin out in his car.

As most of you know already it has, amongst other things, the Power Enterprise twin turbo kit on it.

I have to say I was very impressed with the performance of the car and the power delivery on the road makes a very punchy difference without losing any of the original character.

The car still has that very torquey feel about it just with the extra grunt we probably all feel sometimes lacking.

The main plus is that the delivery is so smooth and linear it is very easy to use and feels ideal for track use.

The only gripe I would have, and it really is purely an aesthetic one, is the finish on the pipework which takes away some of the visual impact, obviously why Kevin is considering having the pipework chromed, as he has mentioned in another thread.

My honest opinion is that the kit represents very good value for money.

Cheers Kevin, nce to chat.

size of the turbos (smaller than the APS ones for example) and their flow carachteristics make this kit basically a "no lag" kit. Only gripes: tubing into the intercooler is a really ugly design (3 to 1 pipes, all with different diameters), intercooler is really not up to the job when looking for more power, no blow off valve, and I agree the finish on the tubing is abysmal. Mine are already powdercoated... It's an incomplete kit imo though, Even in std form you'd definitely need some sort of engine management, for safety. Original stainless steel manifolds used to crack easily too, I know an owner who managed to crack 4 sets of those, latest kits have a cast design which do no crack. Lastly, I still have to see any sort of dyno info, as even on my350z the figures are a bit lacking.....

Hi Phil, thanks for coming up to Envy today, pleased you enjoyed your visit in particular the ride in the "Envy" Zed! Its nice to take someone out in it car to show how good the PE kit actuallly is, instead of me just telling people.

Its also nice to inform those people who said it was not possible to succesfully run the car on the stock ECU. As you witnessed there was no hesitation, misfires or flat spots just nice usable power up to the red line with Zero lag! People may say well it only gives "x" amount of horse power for the money. What people don't actually realise is how that actually equates in terms of drivability. The car is just so much better to drive and fills in the areas in the power curve, that the N/A car lacks.

It was interesting to note the coments you made on the PE kit V's the APS kit. Its nice to know it has more of a kick than so called higher horse powered z's with the APS kit fitted. I think this is due to the IHI dual bearing turbo's which come in lower down the RPM scale.

When you think this kit works with the stock ECU on the earlier Import models, it represents good value for money and really is a true bolt on modification!

You will have to pop back phil when I up the boost after fitting the sports cats and Y-Pipes.

Thanks

Kevin

The intercooler is actually made by ARC so is of the highest quality, agreed however anything over 600 BHP you would probably have to make something up custom.

Just added an HKS SSQV to mine for £200 including fitting, so no real biggy there. The pipes come in powdercoated silver which looks tidy but obviously chrome or polished would look nicer, but this is always something that can be done pretty cheaply before installing the kit.

As you have said the manifold are now cast no very little chance of failure.

The kit was very comprehesive and came with everything from the factory for the install down to every litlle nut bolt and washer.

Should get mine on a dyno soon although as per usual dyno figures in the UK normally read a lot less than those in the US so I would already be at a disadvantage before strapping it down! :p

Kevin

size of the turbos (smaller than the APS ones for example) and their flow carachteristics make this kit basically a "no lag" kit. Only gripes: tubing into the intercooler is a really ugly design (3 to 1 pipes, all with different diameters), intercooler is really not up to the job when looking for more power, no blow off valve, and I agree the finish on the tubing is abysmal. Mine are already powdercoated... It's an incomplete kit imo though, Even in std form you'd definitely need some sort of engine management, for safety. Original stainless steel manifolds used to crack easily too, I know an owner who managed to crack 4 sets of those, latest kits have a cast design which do no crack. Lastly, I still have to see any sort of dyno info, as even on my350z the figures are a bit lacking.....

The intercooler is actually made by ARC so is of the highest quality, agreed however anything over 600 BHP you would probably have to make something up custom.

Just added an HKS SSQV to mine for £200 including fitting, so no real biggy there. The pipes come in powdercoated silver which looks tidy but obviously chrome or polished would look nicer, but this is always something that can be done pretty cheaply before installing the kit.

Kevin

intercooler won't be good for 500 either (this info comes from someone with first hand experience)... I'm already looking for alternatives (and/or Aquamist) and the 3 to 1 tubing needs to be redesigned as the current one is really poorly designed, even to my untrained eye ;)

wrt to the piping, there's powdercoating and powdercoating mate ;) The PE one looks cheap (even when the components aren't by any means!), I've had mine powderoated gunmetal silver, looks miles better.

WRT dynoing, tbh I haven't seen any in the US either (apart from an old magazine article which compared different types of turbo kits for the 350) so it'd be great to have some real life figures from yours. As I said I got my kit because of the great deal I got, and because, despite being quite incomplete for my tastes, it ticked all the boxes for my goals (500bhp for a cool running, useable 350). Anything more and it's just for bragging rights IMO, as you won't be able to use the power anyway...