Are car PCs any good?

Dal123

Hey guys, I posted a thread approximately one year ago seeking some advice for my requirements:

• A new digital Head Unit with Bluetooth to connect Iphone 5 and emails etc load on screen and play mp3s;
  • Decent Sat Nav;
  • Reverse Camera;
  • Retain steering wheel controls;

Optional but preferred:

• Front Camera - that will record as surveillance (would like the reverse also to record);

Someone recommended a car PC, however I am a little sceptical on this as SatNav software varies in quality and I had an old PDA when they first came out and the SatNav software was terrible. I also prefer Macs if possible however there does not seem to be any info on SatNav software for Mac.

I would prefer a single screen, to replace the Bose system as I think two screens may look a little too much. I was going to replace the Bose Head Unit, is this a single or double din? I have the cubbyhole at the top.

Others recommended the http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-jvc-kw-av70bt_p-27469.htm so I may do that, or a Pioneer HU. I see Pioneer do this add-on SatNav thingy http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F260/page.html.

I have no idea on the wiring, but have read quite a few threads on here.

My budget is £800 for supply and fitting, but I am willing to do myself if I get organised.

Grateful of any guidance.

If you want to use ios just get an Ipad mini and mount it, if you want something cheaper go with a NEXUS7 and stick either of them in the cubby hole.There are a few different people on here doing different things with tablets. Think one of the member traders is selling an IPAD mount.

Can't think of a reason to have a dedicated in car PC these days, just get a tablet.

I went for a more tablet 'ghetto' mount, you can see it in my build thread, link in my profile.