Front wheel bearing

garak112

Not long after purchasing my car I noticed a sort of whining/grinding noise when driving which was coming from the front passenger side wheel. I jacked the car up and it sounded like the brakes were binding slightly, so I asked for some advice and then left it a month or so until I had time to clean everything up and cure the problem.

This morning I took the caliper off the wheel, and removed the disc. I couldn't see an obvious binding point so decided to clean everything up and go from there. As I rotated the hub it felt lumpy and made a slight metallic noise, it didn't spin freely like on previous cars.

I took a look round the back and above the bottom bearing bolt where there is a small half moon cut out (what is this for?) there was what appeared to be grease oozing out. There was evidence all over the plastic back cover of the bearing that it had been covered in grease. I am assuming this is abnormal because the other side is completely clean.

Reassembled everything and span the wheel fast whilst lying under the front and could hear a faint rumbling, could also feel a lumpiness where I was holding the bodywork. Oddly there isn't any movement on the wheel. When rotating forward then back quickly there is an audible clicking noise (this can be normal on some cars so not sure this is relevant).

I'm 99% sure that the bearing needs changing but not being familiar with these cars is there anything I have missed? Any suppliers for the part?

I ordered a new wheel bearing and got round to fitting it after work today. I followed a guide on another forum, the only trouble I had was undoing the bottom hub bolt (although weirdly no issue doing it back up).

When I removed the hub I was greeted by this:

2j0drp5.jpg

There seemed to be a lot of grease around the inside of the hub mount. The bearing looked like this:

20p8tua.jpg

The old wheel bearing when turned felt gritty and made a metallic grinding noise, the new one doesn't. I uploaded a video for comparison: