Who's handy with Clarion head units?

Dave McCool

Car came with a Clarion VX401E head unit, kindly fitted by the previous owner.

Frankly it's rubbish and it'll be replaced at some point, but it currently does all I need it to, can stream audio and calls from my phone, iPod hookup in the dash cubby etc, but the user interface is confusing and laggy. It'll do for now while there are other things needing doing, but its days are numbered...

Anyway, the main issue at the minute is with the reverse camera.

When I bought the car putting it into reverse would automatically trigger the reverse camera, bringing that up on the screen no matter what was on there before, and then returning to the previous screen after. This was nice.

Now this doesn't happen, I have to manually select the reverse camera from the main menu. What's odd is that the switching on the reverse gear obviously still works - if I select the camera while not in reverse it just says 'no signal' until I select reverse. Then the camera displays on the screen, and cuts out again once I'm done reversing.

If I put the car in reverse and don't select camera, nothing happens, it just stays displaying the tuner, or whatever else was happening.

I've tried resetting the head unit to factory settings, been through all of the settings menu (not an extensive menu) and I've looked all through the manual and nowhere is there any mention of the camera coming on automatically - but it definitely happened before!!

Anyone had anything like this before?

What I got from that is....

You want the HU to auto display the rear camera when reversing?

On a side note, (I'm just spit balling) but the rear camera sensor could be hooked up/grounded when the gears go into reverse thus enabling the HU to display the camera? I.e. It's cabled up like a headunit is cabled to the Handbrake to stop people watching movies whilst driving?

Basically yes, sorry!

That post was a bit of a waffle, I'll try to be a bit more concise:

Auto display is the aim - it did it before and then stopped and I don't know why!

It is definitely switching on the reverse gear, when in 'camera mode' it says no signal until the car is in reverse, then displays the camera when the car goes into reverse, then stops displaying when it comes out of reverse.

Basically yes, sorry!

That post was a bit of a waffle, I'll try to be a bit more concise:

Auto display is the aim - it did it before and then stopped and I don't know why!

It is definitely switching on the reverse gear, when in 'camera mode' it says no signal until the car is in reverse, then displays the camera when the car goes into reverse, then stops displaying when it comes out of reverse.

I think that's meant to do that (The camera not working when not in reverse)

My guess would be that there is a setting in the options somewhere to allow the camera to be auto/take priority etc.

I agree, and to be honest I'm happy enough with it switching like that, although there are situations it would probably be fun to have it display while on the move it's probably for the best that it doesn't...

There must indeed be a setting for this, but I can't find it anywhere and nor can anyone else I've tasked with flicking through the settings while in the car!