Rattling at 2.5k revs!

Andy

Hope you guys can help me here. When under acceleration going past 2.5k revs and coming back down through the rev range, again at 2.5k, I am getting a rather nasty metallic sounding rattle coming from what seems to be coming from somewhere near the front nearside wing. I spent the best part of 4 hours on Sunday investigating it, wondering if it was something like a loose CAI pipe or something but I can't find anything at all. The only thing I can think of is that one of my cats has broken down internally.

The fact that is only happens at a certain rev range, to me, says it is either something loose and hence the resonance created at 2.5k is making it rattle or it is something to do with the exhaust gasses at that rev range, hence me thinking it is a cat but the noise seems too far forward in the engine for that!!

I know it is a huge long shot with me saying "I have a rattle, what is it?" but I am hoping someone may have had something similar.

The car is off the road at the moment until I have time to take the cats off an have a look at them but it's quite a long job!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

Guest prescience

Did I miss something :blush: I can't see that you got an answer except maybe its non-resonated test pipes?

IMO if you have cats, it's the cat matrix

Guest prescience
bascially the rasp is characterisic of the engine/ exhaust setups. . .like on the BMW M3. . . you wont rid it very easily. .

I had the same set-up as Andy though, NISMO and hi-flows and definitely no rasp?

Guest prescience
The Plenum certainly gives off a rasp but this is definatley not right and shouldn't be there!!!

I assume you have adjusted the tower bar, this does foul the Kinetix plenum and cause a noise, because I had this myself - it needs to be raised. In fact my tip would be to temporarily remove the tower bar and run the car around to see if the noise disappears, then you know it's down to adjustment :)