Recommend me a runabout please

twobears

Ah, I've not seen that episode.

BMW looks smart on the outside but foot wells look a bit grubby! We had a BMW for a while but neither of us liked it so I think that's definitely off the list.

Well, your options are pretty much limitless until we know a budget... But within the next couple of months (all being well) my Saab 9-3 1.9 TID Vector Sport (150 - Remapped to 185) will be for sale with only 60k and just had well over £3k spent on all of the common and age related problems being replaced and renewed etc... Full cream leather interior with very little signs of wear (except for a bit on drivers seat). In short, it's been "mothered".. Will be looking for around £5,800 when i come to sell due to all of the money that has been poured into it in the last 12 months.

However, if that's not for you, i wouldn't think of hire purchase unless you were going to keep whatever you got long enough to make it pay... There are plenty of decent family cars around for between £5-8k.... That said, i'm sure you could pick up a good car for less, but by no means will it have any nice modern refinements!

I have considered one of these as a sensible diesel. What's it like to live with? Mpg, performance?

I've been very happy with it for over a year now. With exception to all of the outlay of which some was expected and some unfortunate. It's a very comfortable car to drive over long distances, my brother lives near Newcastle and i live near Shrewsbury, Shropshire, travelling up there and back over the weekend i used less than half a tank and that is a 422 mile round trip! Arriving up there you will see less than 1/4 missing on the gauge. It averages late 40's to early 50's mpg wise and whilst it isn't a performance car, it'll cruise at "naughty" speeds all day long without the slightest moan and the chassis isn't too shabby in the corners with my chosen shoes either (Conti Sport Contact 5's).

Performance wise, mine was the 150bhp, purchased with 44k on the clock, 1 owner from new (now me), i had the remap done by United Diesel (Viezu) at around 53k and since then there has been a lovely improvement in drive-ability, noticeable gains in fuel economy and no mid range shudder which is a common grumble with these engines from low revs in higher gears... In short, it won't blow you away in the same way that a McLaren MP4-12C would, but as a sensible, everyday, economical family car, it holds it's own with 0-60 being around 7.8 secs now.

I service mine every 9k and the recommended is 12k to 18k depending on how you drive! So mine has been mommied!

HUGE boot, flat folding rear seats, 7 speaker stereo, millions of brand new major parts fitted very recently. It'll be a great car for someone soon :)

Very few bad points and none that would put anyone off! But those can be discussed when it is for sale.

Sorry for hijacking Mrs Twobears! :sorry:

No worries on the hijack front :) We had three blue cars until the Evoque went back. I did want the Fiesta ST2 and that was partly because of the fabulous purple blue colour. I am such a girl I know.

No worries on the hijack front :) We had three blue cars until the Evoque went back. I did want the Fiesta ST2 and that was partly because of the fabulous purple blue colour. I am such a girl I know.

Well, just a thought, but i know this as i work in the automotive paint trade... Actually making the stuff! You could have any car you wanted in the world (within your budget) and have it resprayed in any colour you want in the world, including that purple blue off the ST2 ;)

Common myth that paint prices vary depending on whether they're off a ford or a ferarri... They don't, it's the labour that the body shops sting the clueless people on. Most colours are either solid 2k gloss, basecoat metallic or 2 stage pearls which are only slightly more of a fuss to apply which would affect the price... So get whatever you want and hold back a couple of grand for a decent re-spray :)