Audio cutting out. Need a steer please!

Mudman

Greetings All

Got a PITA issue. JDM 2003. Sound from after market head unit keeps cutting out. It did the same for the Ripspeed crap that I replaced. Basically the only sound is coming out of the subwoofer but if you open the drivers side door slowly you eventually find a sweet spot and it all works again......right up until you close the door. Its been happening once a fortnight but next time used the car was fine but becoming more common now bad today nothing just subwoofer . So something's loose somewhere. Have given the external cables cover a good twiddle but that does nothing - seems only the door. My tilt mirrors don't work either so wondering in there's a connection ? So anyone experienced anything similar ? I have a local vehicle sparks who's pretty good but Will need to give him a pointer wondering if is a loose earth ? I'm not confident taking the door trim off to have a look as even if I did would not have a clue what to look for so probably best left to a pro

Any advice gratefully received

Hi mate it sounds like your getting a bad earth or a lose wire on the speaker set up from the main amp In the boot. The sub runs on it's own small amp so that's still working fine as you can still here the sub working :-) .

First I would check

1 you could have a lose wire going in to the door speakers as it can fix it's self by playing around with the door

Or

2 your amp could have a bad or lose wire

Or

3 you could have a lose ground wire from your main amp In the boot

4 you could have a lose wire on your head unit

When you changed your head unit did your check all connections were ok on the head unit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the quick reply

Halfordsdid the first fitting and had a issue with reception which Ithey spent a fair few hours on at no extra cost but finally had the electrician fix it up. That was the aerial amplifier that wasn't connected by previous owner

They did mention something about a loose earth and said the aerial is the earth so not sure how that works. I I'll mention the points above to my sparky see what he makes of it was hoping to avoid taking the door trims off but getting a set of UK centre guages soon so might as well get him to fit those and have a rummage around the back with the centre console off........again !

Wow you let halfords fit your head unit :-) your brave,, did you no what they used to boost the power to the amps/speakers ? When I wired my own head unit up I grounded it to one off the small bolts around my gear stick. The rear amp is grounded next to its self , . If your any were near blackburn I could have a quick look at it for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer but North Norfolk! Fairplay to the Halfords guy he was one of their better ones. Has as older 911 so not the normal standard of spotty yoof! Tried a few things to boost the signal but did a good job overall and in defence this little issue was live on the previous.

All good intel. Appreciate the advice! You think I can avoid having the door trims off ?

Yep I would check your rear amp out and see if anything is lose first , then the head unit , then the wires , then The speckers, it could even be the power wire from your head unit to the rear amp, but you could be playing around for hours ,, if I was to have to take my door cards off I would just fit som new speakers in there at the same time :-)

Ok sounds plausible the rear amps a bit easier to get to having a look at the manual. I think the speakers are aftermarket as well but not sure the sub is aftermarket. Big bloody thing sits in the stow BOC behind the drivers seat. I'm a bit old to be bumping out sounds haha

Ok sounds plausible the rear amps a bit easier to get to having a look at the manual. I think the speakers are aftermarket as well but not sure the sub is aftermarket. Big bloody thing sits in the stow BOC behind the drivers seat. I'm a bit old to be bumping out sounds haha
your never to old for good music lol.

Here are some links to help you out

One for removeing front specker

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/front_speakers/

One for what colour wires

http://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/171725-wiring-color-code-guide-for-350z.html

One for getting to the rear amp

http://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/524737-stripped-the-rear-boot-trunk-area-out.html

That should start you off :-)

Do you no how to get to the head unit ?

Edited by Briggsybriggs1

• 2 weeks later...