attempting sub box install- NOW ATTEMPTED

Dannyg

Going to try to make my own under strut sub box with sub facing toward the front of the car

What's your thoughts on a mutant amp? Got it free from a family member so not to sure on the quality of it.. Also came with a 12" sub box so had to buy a new 10" JL sub from net so dismantled the box and took what I need from that.. (Any one want a mutant sub and box lol)

So before I build it just wanted your guys opinions on some stuff

-When building the box does it need to have a hole to let the vibration out most aftermarket sub boxes I've seen have holes in but the understand why these ones don't

- Why does the majority of strut boxes face towards the back is there a benefit to this?

- Will I see a benefit with standard bose door speakers, head unit is a Sony aftermarket one and rear speakers are pioneer (never got round to changing door ones)

Also realised that the boot floor won't open with the new box installed so gonna hinge it so it still lifts up without having to take the box out, haven't got a spare wheel so will only need it for access to jack and brace etc.. Pretty clever I thought :D

Anyways anybody got any tips for me, never done this before

Gonna also wrap the box in some suede I have laying about so hopefully looks Ok

Watch this space

Dan

Edited by Dannyg

Ported vs Sealed is down to preference and subwoofer spec. A sealed box is smaller then a ported box and produces tighter bass. A ported box requires less power and produces more bass volume. I prefer sealed these days.

Bass is non directional so it shouldn't matter if you point the sub into the boot or cab, personally with the layout of the 350Z i'd always face it into the boot.

The bose speakers are pretty poor so a decent aftermarket set is always going to be an improvement especially if you run them of an amp.

Thanks for the info, I'll start with a sealed then at least i can always port it after if needed

Will do in my head it seems straight forward but as always it's totally different in practice, where did it go wrong for you rocky?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Basically I allready had a twin Vibe sub box with subs, so I decided to try and cut that to shape. To be fair, it did fit quite nicely between the strut and the seats, but the subs sounded terrible! I've had them a long time so I guess they've just had their days. I then tried my other 3000watt vibe sub in a single box I allready had, and it sounded a trillion times better. So I'm probably going to try knock up a small box for the single 12" unless I can find a trader who can build a nice stealthy one that fits a 12" sub

Took 7 hours but it's all done, had the sub working before I put it all together but now it don't work :( despite power going to it, will have to fix it tomorrow but other than that pretty chuffed.. Need to paint the screws at some point too

guqyvure.jpghe3upy8e.jpg

And I can still get into the spare wheel space :D

9a8uvera.jpg

sent from crappy Tapatalk

Edited by Dannyg
  • Like 1