Soft Top Won't Open

rmgthatsme

Appreciate a little help please...the soft top warning light on my dash panel is lit (i.e. indicates top is open) but the soft top is locked closed. Has been working perfectly for the past year. When I try to open it, I can hear only the unlocking sound but no further movement. Fortunately the hood is in the closed position as it has been raining heavily here but I am worried big bills are on the way for diagnostics time if I'm not sure of the issue and need to take it into a garage. Many thanks!

Sounds like it may be a sensor problem but dont panic yet. They can just get stuck sometimes. First check to see all the joints are greased. The get someone to help you and just give it a little help whilst trying to operate it normally. Its worth doing an ecu reset first to see if that clears any fault.

Thanks for the advice, will do a search on the ECU reset... Is that the tap dance on the pedals routine? The joints are unlikely to be the issue. Seems it can't release the soft top storage compartment cover as I can hear the mechanical noise of a release mechanism under the panel when I press the switch. it's unable to release this storage cover so the rest of the hood retracting sequence doesn't commence.

Thats not good. The most common fault seems to be the roof sections getting out of synch, if its the compartment catch it could be tricky to get to. One further tip at the moment, before you commit to a dealer check they have experience with the roof, mine didnt, started to throw parts at it, took six months and still didnt sort it properly. If the fault light is picking up on the issue they should be able to get a read out of the fault. Also worth asking Alex nicely, he has a lot of experience with the hoods and was kind enough to give me some good advice.