EBC Turbo Grooved Discs

Farmer Brown

Had my Z for about 6 years.

Am quite hard on brakes and so do them myself to avoid being ripped off by garage.

Use EBC yellow stuff pads cos i like the feel and resistance to fade compared to the standards and go through a full set once a year (every 5,000 miles).

Standard front brake discs were changed last year as were getting a bit thin, maybe should have changed them earlier :blush: , and put some EBC turbo grooved discs on the front which seemed even more resistant to fade and quite liked them.

Have just discovered after looking under car (at phecked compression arm) that the discs have worn to the extent that the grooves on the inside of the discs have virtually gone!! :scare:

The brakes have done maybe 5,000 miles so would expect the pads to be done but not the discs, the original discs did about 48,000 miles so bit annoyed :rant:

Has anyone found that EBC discs are soft or is it just the fact that grooved discs wear like this??

Put plain EBC discs on the back about 2 months ago, didn't think grooves were necessary, hope they are not going to wear like the fronts. :wacko:

Edited by Farmer Brown

I would check you caliper pistons are all moving. Sounds to me like all the load is being taken on the inner face. I see lots of the discs and never seen your problem before.

yeah maybe, i always try to clean the pistons up and lube them a bit when i change the pads, they have never seemed too bad to push back in. to be honest i havent checked the other disc yet so perhaps that has been the problem

i didnt check the run out but i have changed many a brake disc before and never had to bother, combination of showing some faith in EBC and not being arsed to buy a run out meter.

Have checked caliper pistons and all ok and wear on other side is fairly similar. While the discs arent as bad as i first thought they are still wearing uneven but then so are the pads with the inside pads being done and the outer pads still ok. New pads going on next weekend and discs will need changed later in the year. Reckon it's to do with dirt on the inside of the disc.

Edited by Farmer Brown

Ebc turbo grooved discs can suffer with salt corrosion build up in the grooves. Remove the discs and use a dremel to grind out the build up. This is very common on this type of disc. The build up will increase your wear rate as the corroded surface is harder than the brake pad.

Ebc turbo grooved discs can suffer with salt corrosion build up in the grooves. Remove the discs and use a dremel to grind out the build up. This is very common on this type of disc. The build up will increase your wear rate as the corroded surface is harder than the brake pad.

If u do it wrong can you put the disc out of balance?