Front Passenger Airbag

mrchic

Hi all

I would like to know if anyone has thoughts advice on switching the front passenger Airbag off,

I have a young five year old, and under normal circumstances i wouldn't dream of owning a Zed, unless a second car.

but i only have my child twice a month, so 99% of time its only me driving.

i read on here somewhere about not being able to turn front passenger airbag off, and the only way was removing fuses, installing some sort off bypass switch.

I also read there's a weight sensor which in theory will not make air bag operational. that sounds ideal, but its not the sort of thing you can test :wacko:

I'm a bit paranoid about the slightest bump setting it off, not worried if its only me.so ideally i would like to switch it off.

my zed is 04 year.

Cheers all

You only need to turn of airbags for rear facing child seats. I have my 7 year old boy in my Zed, with a booster seat and have no concerns over his safety.

Thanks

Have been told by a few people to turn off up to the age of twelve.

My concern is the risk of injury if they go off in a minor accident

When you say have no concerns over his safety, do you mean in the event of an accident and the airbag going off

or the strength/structure of the car itself. i don't mean for that question to sound rude

I'm still getting used to the car myself, (had a month) my boy has been in a rear car seat in a Saab 93 previous

Thanks

I've come to my Zed from a 93 too!

With the booster seat he's the same height, roughly, as an adult would be and the passenger seat is pushed back slightly. (As long as the seat belt fits correctly over the shoulder, he's fine) I was always impressed with how strong the Zed feels over other cars of a similar style, but also have no issues if he was there in an accident and the airbag went off. Certainly no different to him being in the front of the 93

I'm in a similar situation in that I only have the kids at weekends, but if I have one of them on their own, we always go out in the Zed :)

Edit: I think the reason people talk about kids being 12 is to do with height / size and making sure the seat belts are safe and not around their necks, which is where the booster seat comes in.

Edited by Aliensurfer
  • Like 1