Project car?

stuarty

I've been thinking about buying a project car to work on. I don't want any VX or fords etc. I looked at old 911's etc but nothing caught my eye.

Anyway, I took my wife's car to get detailed today and when I went into the detailers garage there was a pristine 1992 Saab 900. I know it wasn't a turbo but it was pristine. The guy paid 200 quid for it and reckons it now worth about £1000- £1500. I think I want one but probably a turbo.

Any advice welcome!

Edited by stuarty

I can tell you a little about the Saab B204 and B234 'H' lumps that were found in the mid-90's Saabs when Vauxhall owned them,

The Saab's of this era were basically Cav's and Vectras with all the cheap crap removed and replaced with over engineered goodness, for example with the correct tuning some swedish loon has got over 600bhp on the standard bottom end of a B204!!!!!

Tuning them to 400bhp seems to be dead cheap too, they seem to use the Mitsubishi TD-series turbos which are very tough and easily upgradable. I know the standard ECU can have an additional control board added to make them mappable for not much cash.

The sooner the better if you decide to buy one though, the Vauxhall scene has cottoned onto these cheap and overly engineered engines (that had their blocks designed to bolt straight up to VXL gearboxes), they are common conversions now which is bumping up prices for whole cars.

Old porsche 944 or 924 or 928 which ever is the cheap one.

Really like the look of the Saab, I remember asking my brother in law, who has had most cars and who is a lot older than me, what the fastest car he owned. He said Saab turbo. This was about 23 year ago, and he had wend g reg bmw 325i, lotus esprit, etc etc. So must have been a good car back in the day!

As said them engines where strong but FWD and massive power isnt my thing but you might love it. Some of the newer volvos are kinda the same I they can run 400bhp no problem but again FWD isnt my thing.

One reason I suggest Porsche is that beleive it or not parts are cheap. There is a massive second hand and independent parts market which is much much better than the Nissan one. Also Porsche parts from Porsche can be cheap sometimes ( just dont get oil, brakes etc and from there) ECP also stock alot of older Porsche items.

• Like 1