Blackcircles dispute and outcome.

Sgt Wilson

I would echo the sentiments about air guns used on these wheels - thats a big no no I think.

Using hand tools and a socket generously wrapped in tape of some form is the way to go.

Also, DO NOT USE AN AIR TOOL ON THE LOCKING WHEEL NUT.

If you do, you run the risk of not only damaging the nut, but also the tool that removes them. Which could then leave you with 4 locking wheel nuts, and no tool to remove them - which I have personaly experienced.

The locking wheel nuts on the Z are McGuards. They also have the rotating colars, so reverse threaded sockets will not work most of the time - and will simply damage the inside of the wheel (a LOT more severely than in your pics).

So, again - if you want to avoid a MASSIVE headache, DO NOT use air tools on your Locking wheel nuts, and to avoid damage like in the pictures posted, avoid them at all times.

Most garages will only want to use air tools - its quicker. Slip them some extra beer tokens and ask them to go the extra mile with a covered socket and hand tools.

Don't forget that alot of the young lads working in these tyre outlets weren't the sharpest tools in the box.

I had one drop the ratchet gun onto my newly sprayed bonnet but didn't realise until a day or so later but was in no position then to demand corrective action.

Only way is to be on site and watch with eagle eyes.

I know some outfits will actually fit on location.

Its jst as annoying when mechanics don't put wing covers over the car when working inside your engine bay.