Subwoofer

Mrdeli

Hi guys,

I am exploring subwoofers. I got heaps of great advice on here for the 350z, but I'm hoping that someone could give me a little info for my other car, an Audi Q5. Before anyone says, the Audi forums, they just don't seem as helpful, well at least the Q5 ones anyhow. Also hopefully it's fairly generic info I'm after so it may well help others.

Ok my dilemma is this. I would like to upgrade the sound system a little. The car has 10 speakers as below:

8 inch woofers in front doors (4 ohms)

Two tweeters / small speakers on dash

One centre / small speaker on dash

6 inch woofers in rear door

Tweeters in rear doors

Subwoofer in boot under floor (6 inch , 2 ohms)

The car has 'Audi sound system' so I was hoping to just upgrade some speakers

I was thinking to replace the woofers in the front door and the sub

The sub is passive and sits in a round plastic case where the spare wheel would go.

With regard to the sub one option is just to replace the speaker with a higher quality one

Next was to put a bigger diameter sub into a new enclosure (but still wired directly)

Or finally to get a new enclosure and introduce a seperate amp

If I used a separate amp, would this take the high level input ok, or does using high level input create poorer sound?

I'm also looking for a recommendation regarding 8 inch speakers for the front doors.

Any help, any comments, much appreciated.

Regards mark

What are you trying to acheive?

Louder, clearer, bassier, fuller?

I'd personally go for a seperate sub and amp but something low powered and punchy as you might over bass it otherwise. I do love my bass though so you might be ok without it.

If I was replacing speakers tbh I'd just buy comps and replace the speakers as tweeters are just as important and add to the woofers.

Rca's are better but if your keeping it low powered you should be ok.

Whats your budget? Legatia l8's :cloud9::cloud9:

Thanks for the reply.

I have ordered a kicker cvt652 - so hopefully that will help.

I want to improve the sound quality, rather than rattle the neighbours windows.

First off I will try replacing the standard speaker with the kicker one. Following that I can try adding an amp (if you think that will help??). Plan b is to build an enclosure and add a 10" kicker.

What do you think?

I have a vibe lite air bass1 amp - not sure whether this is too powerful for what I want, although it does have a volume control.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_237503

With respect to front speakers I have found these.

http://ultimateaudio.co.uk/shop/speaker ... akers.html

If I bought component speakers, can I just use the bass speaker and retain the tweeters that are built in to the dash

Sorry for all the questions, as you can see I'm a bit lost with all this at the moment!!

Many thank mark.