Drivers door wind noise glass fit/fix? pics

lovie

Hello all,

Thanks to all those who have posted info on this site, after reading how to remove door panel I thought I would have a go and post some pics.

I had wind noise and leaks from driver door glass, it wasn't sealing against rubber seal at the front edge and also the glass wasn't leaning in enough.

I adjusted the glass by loosening the two bolts that hold the glass and relocating the glass a few mm further forward and a few mm higher. I tried to also adjust the angle of the glass by adjusting the lock nuts/ slotted screw which I think is meant to change the angle but I couldn't get it to make any difference. (any comments or help on this gratefully received)

In summary I have moved the glass to provide a better seal and up to 70mph it now has no wind noise. This is my attempt and I am certainly no expert so my advice is here purely as help and I cannot be responsible if everything I say is pants and your door falls off after following this guide. Or anything else go wrong, generally.

How it should be (passenger side)

2012-06-25135907.jpg

How it shouldn't be (drivers side)

2012-06-25135923.jpg

£15 from Amamzon for main black pack with red tools, £2 for small tool on the right.

2012-06-25140120.jpg

Lift up rear part (right as you look) first, then gently pry edges and it should pop up.

2012-06-25140511.jpg

Release clips that hold switches. I suppose you could just leave switches in cover and remove white connector only if you prefer.

2012-06-25141025.jpg

Push on small white square which is fairly central on side of block to release.(below blue wire )

2012-06-25143629.jpg

Undo two bolts, note they are different so replace them as they came out.

2012-06-25141500.jpg

Spring this cover off.

2012-06-25141735.jpg

There should be another bolt in there, mine was missing, also, you don't need to remove the grommet (doh)

2012-06-25142253.jpg

Release door clips around panel, I used "Y" shaped tool to leaver plastic clip from door.

2012-06-25143036.jpg

Showing more clips for FYI

2012-06-25143052.jpg

Lift panel up when all un-clipped and disconnect grey connector block, I had to lie on my back to see release tab

2012-06-25143936.jpg

Release door lock cable, pull white plastic part out of metal bracket and un-hook cable.

2012-06-25144015.jpg

Same again for second cable.

2012-06-25144212.jpg

Panel now removed.

2012-06-25144407.jpg

I think this is the window reset switch, was covered by sticky pad. As my windows weren't going up only to drop back down an inch or so I didn't touch this switch.

2012-06-25144644.jpg

There are two bolts like this that hold the glass, I drew around the washers of both so I could see how far and in which direction the glass had moved, I moved in about 3mm forward and 3mm up and that seems to have done the trick.

2012-06-25145309.jpg

Sorry no pics of final job, better but still not perfect, If I can work out about angling glass I will post some more pics.

Cheers

Mike

The window may need resetting due to the battery terminals being removed when the window was fully up. Only when the door is fully closed will the window move slightly up. It looks like it is fully up whilst the door is closed and is catching the rubber door seal. Just an idea :thumbs:

The window may need resetting due to the battery terminals being removed when the window was fully up. Only when the door is fully closed will the window move slightly up. It looks like it is fully up whilst the door is closed and is catching the rubber door seal. Just an idea :thumbs:

Hello Choptop,

Many thanks for the comment, I didn't disconnect the battery or do a reset, I just moved the glass by loosening the bolts, nipped them up and then shut the door to see how it looked (the glass closed a further few mm when door was closed)

If i wasn't happy, opened the door, moved glass again etc until when the door is closed the glass moves up and makes a good seal.

Cheers

Mike