A couple of issues.....

michker

03 JDE, 53k miles…

Sorry about the long winded nature of this but I need a bit of advice..

A couple of weeks ago my normally silky smooth Z cut out at tick over. It then re started straight away. I thought nothing more about it.

Upon starting an hour later it cut out after about 30 seconds. On re start the engine management light and the VDC / Slip lights on as well as the engine light..

The car drove OK so I presented it to my local dealer. (Mill Nissan) as I have an extended warrant.

The diagnosis was that the crank shaft sensor needed replacing, which they did, and the car road tested and pronounced all OK.

When I went to collect the car, I noticed it churned a little on start up, pos 3 seconds, then when it started the warning lights were all on again.

Dealers said that another fault code had come up but with it been an import this would need to be referred to Nissan tech (who do not recognise the chassis number) so this was a week ago things appear to have come to a stop.

In the meantime, the car which is now, apart from the slight churning on start up, is performing generally well, and I have done 500 miles since in my trans Pennine commute and its doing about 33 mpg.. so all would appear to be well with the engine. (I am obviously still taking it easy until all is resolved)

The exception to this is that occasionally the car will start instantly with only the engine management light on. Then after about 2-5 min’s of driving it will cough, the the VDC/Slip light comes on, then it continues to perform well.

So on start up if it has to turn over for a while it will start with all lights on, if it fires instantly it will only have the engine management light on until the stutter..

I would point out that at no time as the car gone into “limp home†mode..

In view of the above symptoms would this indicate a VDC fault or an engine fault?

Just for a bit of background the car has none Nissan front discs and pads (approx 1500 mile ago. A Toyosport “Y†back exhaust (Which is excellent by the way) 1000 miles ago…… and a recent wheel re paint job.

I will chase the dealer for the fault code on Monday.

Cheers

Mike