350Z boot mat question .. kinda!

kennyg

Hello one and all :teeth:

Basically I ditched my standard 350Z boot mat cause it was flimsy and basically useless ... I was wondering if anybody else has experience of making or buying a custom made job?

I get a lot of noise from the boot area so wanted to have a rigid boot mat that had some proper sound proofing. Everywhere I have looked all they offer is variants on the standard carpet construction which doesn't offer what I want .. which is a rigid construction that offers some level of sound proofing and has a certain amount of rigidity to compensate for the fact I have no spare.

Toying with the idea of creating a plywood type construction and then attaching on some sound proofing material .. but wanted to get some thoughts/ideas as hoping not the only one to consider such an idea!!

you're certainly not the only one; I did a fair amount of soundproofing in the back of mine a while ago, and I added a layer each of two different soundproofing materials (of acoustic membrane and one of decoupling foam) to the underside of the stock boot mat. It has worked to some degree, but if you were going to do this don't do what I did and run out of motivation before you get to soundproofing the rear wheel arches, as this is where a lot of noise comes in and I massively regret not fully doing them. As far as rigidity goes, I'd steer clear of anything too rigid as it would just rattle around like mad. Does your car not have the plasti-board cutout that goes underneath the mat? I have no spare either and as long as I don't take the p1ss it holds up fine.

DB

Unfortunately lost the standard boot mat a long time ago .. and don't want to cough up the ridiculous prices that they seem to be going for :scare:

Just liked the idea of having a more solid floor that wasn't as stable as jelly when you put a bit of weight in the boot! The soundproofing was a thought, but if as you say it's not gonna add that much then will steer clear of the extra effort and cost that will involve.