New HU installed but no audio? Help me Obi Wan.

craigmdennis

Hey guys,

I am in a spot of bother. :bangin:

I have just installed my new head unit, the Parrot Asteroid.

parrot-asteroid-android-car-stereo-2.jpg?20110712-094951

I have done a few installs but never from a factory HU to aftermarket.

There is power to the unit and everything works except there is no sound.

I have followed all the guides on here (which are awesome!) but now need some more specific advice / help.

So, what could be causing my lack of sound?

I have a 2005 GT with Bose system. I have kept the existing amp and speakers.

I'm not maintaining steering wheel controls as nobody makes a Parrot Asteroid adapter yet so I bought the standard harness to RCA adapter:

lrgscaleshop_large_celsus_b_cel-ais2260.jpg

I have connected everything from the adapter harness to the existing wiring (there's only one way they all fit together) and then I have the red / white / yellow & black RCA leads.

Now the guides on here state that these should be plugged into the front / rear RCA out on the new head unit. But no combination of these works. (I though that yellow was video and black was both L&R audio anyway, are these actually the rear audio cables? - can someone confirm?).

The only things I can think of are:

- The sound is playing but is really quite? But I've cranked it up to 100 and still nothing.

- I have done nothing special to provide an extra earth for the HU (such as splicing in extra wire to connect to the chassis) as the HU powers up fine and I read somewhere the aerial earths it. Could this cause the amp not to turn on?

- Something to do with the accessory wire? Do I need to splice this with another wire to get the HU to tell the amp to turn on?

Any pointers from anyone in the know would be immensely helpful.

I can provide any pictures that would be of use.

Thanks.

Have you have wired in your Bose' amp on wire to the headunits amp on ?

Hmm... I have done no cutting or crimping, just plugged and played.

That was one of my suspected reasons though.

I'll have to check if there are any erroneous wires that are not part of the connection block.

I think I saw a Bose wiring diagram on here somewhere. Will have a look.

Hmmmm follow instructions you must.

Search you should use....

Haha! Yeah, I did. Posting this question was my last option.

I'll look back over the guide but I'm sure it only mentioned splicing the earths together.

If you have the Bose, then the speakers have an amp which requires a remote signal from the HU to tell it to fire up.... so no spliced wire to the amp then no sound....

If the HU is firing up and staying on the you have earthed it ok, did you plug in all 4 RCA leads, Red / White / Yellow / Black ?

so no spliced wire to the amp then no sound

Yeah, I think this is the issue :)

Now just to find out which wire to splice with which.

Did you plug in all 4 RCA leads, Red / White / Yellow / Black ?

I did, but I'm not sure which is which.

Are the Yellow / Black front or rear? I would imagine rear.

Strange but the headunit didn't enable the 'fader' option only the 'balance' option meaning it didn't detect any rear speakers even though the Front & Rear RCA were plugged in.

2 things my jedi apprentice:

You need to make sure the Red n White RCA jacks are plugged into the Front L+R plugs and the Yellow n Black are the rear L+R on the HU, you also need to find the blue and white wire from the car loom which is the AMP cable and then find the blue and white cable from the HU loom and splice them together, I had the same problem but as soon as I spliced these together sound came through. :thumbs:

need to find the blue and white wire from the car loom which is the AMP cable and then find the blue and white cable from the HU loom and splice them together

Awesome. Got sound now. The ACC wire from the HU was actually red :S which made me nervous. But the HU had a handy wiring diagram printed on it :)

th_Photo2.jpg

th_Photo1.jpg

Very nearly there, sound quality is so much better! The only issue now is that I'm not getting as much bass from the sub. The HU has seperate pre-outs for direct sub control but these aren't being used at present. So the subwoofer control features of the HU don't work. If I mess with the equalizer I can boost the low range but that also sends it to the speakers.

th_Photo3.jpg

Nearly complete though.

Thanks to everyone who has commented!!

is the sub out an rca? I think I had to wire an RCA to the sub when I fitted my Pioneer

Yes it is, is has Sub L+R, Front L+R, Rear L+R.

Looks like more research needed.

I am pretty sure the sub connector isn't an RCA to the standard Bose it is part of the loom... I am sure I had to splice an RCA connector onto it and then you can plug it into either the L or R shouldn't make a difference which.... I stand to be corrected though as it was over 2 and half years ago :surrender: I am absolutely positive I now have an RCA to the Bose Sub/Amp as when I fitted my Sub in the boot I remember swapping them over to hear the difference :band:

So now I just need to identify which wire is the audio to the sub.

Anyone know the answer? I'm looking for wiring diagrams as we speak. Will take the cover off the amp to see if that gives me any clues.

I would go and take my console out and take a pic, honestly I would I am that sad.... however it is raining quite hard :boat::lol:

I would go and take my console out and take a pic, honestly I would I am that sad.... however it is raining quite hard :boat::lol:

haha, I appreciate the thought.

No rain here atm so I'm going to have look see.

Also found this (I know it's on another forum *slap on wrist*) : http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php/350Z-TECH which seems quite comprehensive.

Ok, so it appears that the sub may actually be working but just very very quietly (unless the rear speakers have some bass to them).

Could the be possible? Could it be related to different output from the new HU? I have been reading a lot about speakers being quite when adding just a new HU? Some to do with different Ohms.

I think the best option is for me to gut the whole system and buy all new components, sub and amp.

I'd still like to use my sub in the meantime though :S