Quest to a cheaper way to get a spare JDM key.. .my findings

live2themaxuk

OK well

after being quoted £260 just for the intergrated keyfob and blade WITHOUT cutting and programming i deceided to see if there were any others ways of getting one.

What i did: -

Purchased a USA keyblade/immboiliser (has seperate fob for remote central in the US)

Purchased a USA remote keyfob

The reason i did this was i noticed that on ebay, the list of cars you can use the keys in are endless. I found out my current key used a philips crypto transponder and 'assumed' that this was used throughout the nissan range and thus the keys werent model specific.

I also purchased the remote as in the UK, the remote frequencies are 400 and something mhz, and in the USA and pacifix this are 315mhz. SO , i was hoping that the same BCM module in the 350z was used in japan and the US, well, the transmitter part of things. . . . .

well, after getting my BCM serial number off the side of it, and getting nissan to email there HQ, they got my NATS code and booked in for 30mins labout to attempt programming

I got the key cut locally for £5.

Well , basically, it didnt work. . . . . . . . The key cutting was fine, YAY, i have a key that will open the doors, but, when he tried to program the key, he told me he started to read it, and program it, then it managed to start it, then, after 2 starts, it locked the key out. And this is what usually happns when tis the wrong type of key. . . . its rather odd, and rather annoying as i can think of no 'secure' reason why nissan would sell 'model specific keys', other to have more control over there cosumers with a vaugue hint of increased security. But without a mecanic and a mega expensive consult-2 device and a PIN code generator, thats security enough.

Anyway. . . . . the remote fob didnt work at all either, so, obviously different frequency.

I was given 3 quotes for potential keys that WOULD work. One is a master key blade (£60), a master trasnmitter (£140) and the full on replacement key (£260)

So, i tried guys but not much luck. I have the part number for the legitemate JDM spare key whick will UNDOUBTABLY work. H0564-C9923

I got a quote from a supplier in Japan (japanparts.com) for about £115, but nissan wont supply the key to a non Z33 owner. . . . FFS, another anal internal policy. I WILL get around that, somehow, and when i do, ill let you know.

So, dont waste you time trying other keys, it wont work. . . . i did that so now you dont have to. If you want a key to get you in the car, then by all means get a USA key from ebay like i did and get it cut.

this little adventure cost me £65 in total :o) would have been great if it had worked. . . . arr well

Jamie

went through a very similar process for a Chevrolet Blazer I had a few years back.. didn't want to pay Bauer Millet an extortionate amount of money for a fob , so ordered one from an American site for a few dollars, no chance with getting them to work..virtually ever Country seems to use different frequencies for their car fobs..bloody nightmare.. always buy a car with a spare key and don't lose one :headhurt:

Yeah, i got caught out on the Japanese Auction sheet.

Its common in england for cars to COME with spare keys, its suicidal to only have one key for a car at anyone time.

In Japan, on the auctions at least, although they are very quick to point out any defects on the car and are extremely thourough in other areas, they dont bother pointing out when a car only has one key with it, which,

if you ask me, a car, coming without a spare key is just as important as a dent in a door. . . .certainly costs similar amounts to rectify.

They only mention when it DOES have a spare key. . . .

Its an oxymoron. . . .

New importers. . . . . You have all been warned !! :teeth:

Yeah, i got caught out on the Japanese Auction sheet.

Its common in england for cars to COME with spare keys, its suicidal to only have one key for a car at anyone time.

In Japan, on the auctions at least, although they are very quick to point out any defects on the car and are extremely thourough in other areas, they dont bother pointing out when a car only has one key with it, which,

if you ask me, a car, coming without a spare key is just as important as a dent in a door. . . .certainly costs similar amounts to rectify.

They only mention when it DOES have a spare key. . . .

Its an oxymoron. . . .

New importers. . . . . You have all been warned !! :teeth:

As I said it caught me out previously , now it's the first question I ever ask when buying a car or a motorcycle for that matter ;)

cool.............. are you a franchised dealer

not any more , went the import route a few years ago..You in the market for a bike ? :teeth:

no i got 1...........a 54 plate aprilia rsvr 1000 mille

:thumbs: , you'll have to let me know when your in the market for something a bit quicker ;)