Jump starter or new battery?

nixy

I'm lucky enough to have the choice of two cars - the zed which won't move off my estate which is thick snow or the little diesel clio which doesn't like to start in the extreme cold! A choice of two nightmares! I've recently had new glow plugs in the clio but when the temp is really cold like last night it just won't start without being jumped from another car. It dies rapidly. Once it has started it's absolutely fine and will start first time every time all day - it's just if it's left overnight in extreme cold. I was thinking about buying a 'jump starter' they look really good but am wondering if I simply need a new battery? I don't want to get a new battery just to find that it dies in the morning like the old one. It's a y reg diesel. What do you think?

You have reaaly described the symptoms of a knackered battery very well. I have never owned or tried the portable jump starter/battery charger things, but I don't have a lot of faith in something so small.

Soooooo...........

Buy a new battery for the Clio, or remove the battery from the Z, put it in the Clio's boot, and carry a set of jump leads.