need help with break pads

gotang

hi

need a little help guys i need new break pads for my uk 350z gt

been quoted £375 by my local nissan dealer to change them

this seems a bit much can you advice me on a good place to buy on line and

all so if they are the same pads all round many thanks

gotang

I'd recommend Brakes4u on this site, look in the traders section and they'll also give you a discount. :)

I've got EBC Red Stuff on the rear of mine and am very impressed with them, so you may want to try them.

As for changing them, I've posted a small guide for the rears, not hard with some basic tools and about an hour I'd say. Fronts shouldn't add too much more to it than another half hour. With the GT you do benefit from sensible Brembo design so it's not hard to change them. :thumbs:

in other words the softer the pad the better it stops ya but it wears out quicker............. and vise versa at the other end of the scale :D

Not quite. Actually harder, as the Red Stuff pads are ceramic. For example if you put yellow stuff in (track pads effectively) then initial bite off the driveway would be rubbish. As the material needs to heat up to get to it's grippy best. It would be the other way round if you took Green Sruff round a track as they would be operating at a heat beyond their optimum and so would create excessive dust and probably crack.

Equally, the discs need to match the pads. Yellow Stuff for example would probably munch their way through standard discs as they'd be at their grippiest at a temperature higher than the ideal of the disc. So wearing it quicker.

With the weight of the Zed, operating temperature levels and and performance of the car, Red Stuff seems to work quite well. :)

EDIT: where references to 'grip' are made, the purists might want to see 'abbrasive' or something along those lines!

Best pads for the Z have to be the Ferodo DS2500 you will find lots of owners running these.

We supply these from stock at £185 for a full car set including delivery.

We can also supply EBC reds at £115 full set or yellows at £120 again including delivery.

The DS2500 are so much better though.

Best pads for the Z have to be the Ferodo DS2500 you will find lots of owners running these.

We can also supply EBC reds at £115 full set or yellows at £120 again including delivery.

Or there's another option. Some of the guys on here with bigger mods to their Zed's might be able to give some more comparisons where they've used a range of products themselves.

Phil, would the DS2500 and Brembo discs be ok to run on a 400 hp Z

Phil, would the DS2500 and Brembo discs be ok to run on a 400 hp Z

When you say Brembo disc are you refering to the standard disc.

What power can you run the standard discs up to

Depends how fast you go mate!! ;)

IMO, unless you're tracking it or taking it beyond it's limited speed, surely the Brembos in standard set-up are good enough?

Unless you've experienced otherwise Bap?

You'll be fine with the Brembo's at 400bhp, like H5 says, all depends on what your doing with the car. What I would say is, most definitely change the pads at least as the standard ones are shite.

I had a few bad brown trouser moments when they faded on me, I only did 2 stops from about 150 and they were toast.

Ferrodo are the best you can get. :)

I see what you're saying. It may be that some Red Stuff / DS2500's would be enough for it.

IIRC, aren't the DS2500's the much more abrasive version of the DS2000's or is it the other way round? I thought one or other has eaten a set of discs on someone's car very quickly......? :)

You'll be fine with the Brembo's at 400bhp, like H5 says, all depends on what your doing with the car. What I would say is, most definitely change the pads at least as the standard ones are shite.

I had a few bad brown trouser moments when they faded on me, I only did 2 stops from about 150 and they were toast.

Ferrodo are the best you can get. :)

What disc alternatives are their that are sanely priced. Ironically I have an aversion to high priced brakes, which I know is dense

One of the most popular upgrades we supply for the 350Z, which again have been well proven with many owners, is as follows.

DBA 5000 front disc grooved with seperate bell.

DBA 4000 series rear one peice disc grooved

DS2500 pads

Goodridge stainless brake lines

Motul RBF600 fluid

the full kit for £1130 delivered.

med_gallery_25_146_196128-1.jpg

dba1.jpg