Regulator?

acam

Voltage as read by dial jumped from something normal to around 15. Not normal, but not dangerous either. Then the (aftermarket) stereo died. Fixed when I got home and found the reset button. Voltage now 13.8v, which I would call normal.

I'd say this is an iffy regulator creating spikes (15v is not enough to do any harm) and I should sort out another before it expensively kills the car electronics, pausing only to check the earth connector. I'm in Portugal and there is nobody here capable of proper diagnostics, forget it.

What does anyone think?

OK, will do...

No, it was fitted when the car was bought in June. Has been pulled and replaced recently though, and by an idiot, so a short or whatever is perfectly possible, but, to me, does not fit the symptoms. I'd call regulator loud and clear, but I was wondering if this is a known weak point, or if I should waste an afternoon with an oscilloscope first.

i've never heard of the zeds having this issue. My reckoning is that its something that has been done with the stereo which has caused it.

Drop Zmanalex a message as he will be able to give a very good diagnosis without even being in the same country

Thanks, I will. It isn't going to be the stereo, that's a symptom, not a cause. It can't send the voltage high. The voltage is now back to normal, so on the face of it the regulator is messing about. However, a Google search shows $250 for a new one (can't see a UK price), and at THAT price I am very open to other ideas before I just throw a new one in. I note this nonsense started in a huge downpour, so I wonder about earths and other connections...