Mystery noise revealed!

thebesh

So remember the old VW Golf/Polo advert where the dude hears a squeeky noise and just can't place it - turns out to be his missus earing that the local garage dude sticks a bit of oil on?

Well..... sometimes I would hear a strange noise coming from my car and I could never pinpoint where it was coming from - I thought the air vents (maybe leaves stuck or something), honestly it was causing me a bit of concern and it was intermittent which made it even harder to trace.

Finally yesterday I solved the mystery - after blasting back out the road from playing football I came into my local town and went back to normal driving. Round town I usually stick it in 6th and there's enough power to happily tootle along at 30. So I heard the noise again and was playing with the air vents/windows, etc trying to find out where it was coming from. So turns out it's the leather cover on the gearstick that it rubbing up against itself with the low vibrations coming from being in a high gear - I shifted to 3rd and 4th and BINGO the noise disappears.

I had wanted to post on here saying "I have a noise" but I had NO idea how to explain it - so happy days all round.