Drivers Side Door Handle (external) query

AFTERSHOX

I've owned my Z since Jan 2011; and the drivers side door handle (external) was damaged on the edge *not done by me, but probably due to the wide doors scraping off nearby walls etc.

[by the way - the handle seems to be made from a quite soft materials and does seem to damage easily] :thumbdown:

Anyway.... long story short. I sourced a part from everybody's favourite auction site (which was a genuine Nissan OEM part # 80606-CD40B) and spent about 1 hour removing the damaged one from the car. [took my time so not to damage anything].

On close inspection; the two handles seem almost identical except for where the lock / key barrel aligns with the rebated area on the back of the replacement handle.

The new handle #80606-CD40B- does not have a 'top lug' cutout; and hence will not line up [the extra lug on the key barrel misaligns the keyhole in the handle, with the barrel].. and is therefore not usable.

I'm sure the part is for the 03-06MY; and mine is a late 06MY/07 registered car; so I took a punt and purchased the handle anyway; it doesn't align with the key barrel.

Two pictures show my key / lock barrel - and my original door handle - you can clearly see the extra lug on the barrel - and the slot into which the lock slides to align the keyhole.

post-8535-135011908112_thumb.jpg

post-8535-135011908135_thumb.jpg

Option 1) Do I need to source a different part for a later model? I think there is an 80606-CD40C [2007MY] door handle; but I'll be checking with my local dealer.

Option 2) Would it be advisable to grind off the top-lug from the key barrel to allow the two things to align? ..and save me a fortune buying a new handle from Nissan.

Advise welcome please; wise ones !

Quick Update : so I definately have the wrong part for my manufacturing year.

My ZED was built September 2006 (late 06); and the correct part code is 80606-CD70B

Just ordered it - will post another update soon.

Looks like I now have a door handle for sale (2003-2006 model) - 80606-CD40B........ any offers? :D

Another update : I'll be fitting my new handle either tonight or over this weekend (CD70B); I'll take photos of the steps, and post a guide / how-to; (hopefully, somebody will find it useful)

The handle that is incompatible (80606-CD40B) will be for sale in the appropriate forum soon.

Cheers

If you are looking to buy a new OEM part - drivers side exterior door handle - I have one for sale... link below.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=51703

If you need a How To: guide - step by step removal of the drivers side door handle (the side with the lock / key hole); then you can find this tutorial on the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=51749