I CANT DECIDE??

Omar-s

Hi all.

I cant decide what head unit to get. Currently ive got the standard bose head unit fitted and a stand alone Alpine satnav system.

Initially I was just gonna get a replacement head unit something like the Alpine iXA-W404R so it would match the satnav.

However the satnav desperatly need updating to current maps and when ive investigated into getting the lastest maps for the alpine it would cost me around £250 to get the dvd. So that would mean i spend say upto £400 for the new head unit plus £250 on the maps so gonna end up costing me £650 ish.

Soooo now ive been looking at other options. I cud get something like the Kenwood DNX5260BT which has satnav built in with bluetooth etc etc.

Is the Kenwood DNX5260BT anygood?

Does the Kenwood DNX5260BT have any sort of duel function, ie, able to say play my music or radio on my headunit screen and use the Alpine screen i already have fitted to display say the satnav at the same time? I think the likes of some JVC headunits have this option.

What route do you think i should take? Basically id like to keep my Alpine screen in its current location in the satnav cubby hole in the dash to basically just display the satnav maps.

Cheers :thumbs:

Omar

The Alpine stuff will be better quality, but you get what you pay for. You are more likely to keep the Alpine when you sell the car and the Kenwood will hold any value a bit less. Can you get to anywhere and play with them both to see if it is worth the extra?

I fitted a Kenwood dnx5220 last weekend, previously had an Alpine w200r and have to say that I prefer the sound from the Kenwood.

Garmin satnav on the dnx works well and I had one hooked up to my Alpine so I'm used to it.

Bluetooth is very good and works well with my iphone.

One problem I am having is the ipod connection, sometimes it reads the ipod and everything works. Other times it won't see it at all.

Might be the aftermarket lead though.

cheers :thumbs:

gettin an install on my new one and always good to look for inspiration or to make sure i am not copying too much

It was a very much stealth effort this time around! There are some very clever bits to it though :D

Blacky, re: the better sound from the Kenwood, they have often done that with out of box settings that enhance the 'nice' frequencies, whereas Alpine is set flat and does take a bit more setting up. I spent 3 years on my last show car and never settled on a setting! :lol:

Hi guys, thanks for the replys.

Sorry i ant replied till now but ive been away.

I'll try and have a look at both then.

When the satnav is on say on the kenwood, are you still able to listen to music or the radio at the same time?

Hi guys, thanks for the replys.

Sorry i ant replied till now but ive been away.

I'll try and have a look at both then.

When the satnav is on say on the kenwood, are you still able to listen to music or the radio at the same time?

yes you can and when you use the function button you can control the cd/ipod etc without having to change screen :thumbs: