Clutch question

HassanZ

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I'm wondering if somebody can advise?

As my handbrake seems unreliable, I always leave my car in first gear when parking up.

A couple of times (whilst music was playing), I forgot the car is still running and release the clutch and end up stalling the car after hearing a loud engine thud. I assumed the car is switch off so just release the clutch to get out of the car. I'm still not used to leaving the car in first gear!

I'm just wondering if this causes any harm to the gearbox, clutch or engine? When it stalls, the engine does make a loud noise and leaps forward...

Probably not a great thing to do repeatedly, I suppose it could wear the clutch and rock the engine/gearbox on its mountings a bit?

You can adjust the handbrake http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38572&p=576375&hilit=adjusting+handbrake#p576375

but it will probably still be a bit crap!

mine has been adjusted because it wouldn't hold on hills, but still the car moves a little once the handbrake is applied. I only put it in gear when parked on a slope.