54 plate 350z GT - Rattling sound

HassanZ

Hi everybody!

Recently I've noticed a rattling sound coming from the engine bay area of my car between the 1,000-1,100 revs mark.

First I thought it may have been a throttle/clutch/thrust release bearing or something along those lines, as I only heard this noise as I was slowly releasing the clutch pedal closer towards biting point.

It is very noticable when near a wall or in tunnel as the sound echoes more, sometimes I can hear it when driving too and sometimes I can't.

Over the last few days I've noticed it only happens between 1,000 and 1,100 revs, so I'm sure that rules out clutch issues?

When you rev the car and let the revs drop past that rev point, you hear the rattle. Same with it going upwards past that point.

What's the possibility of it being a heatshield?

I really appreciate all your input guys! :thumbs:

Hassan

Sounds like Cat heatshield is resonating :surrender: Could be almost anything though! You need to have your head under the bonnet and get a friend to hold the revs where the noise is loudest then hunt around. Watch your hands though... Safety first :thumbs:

Sounds like Cat heatshield is resonating :surrender: Could be almost anything though! You need to have your head under the bonnet and get a friend to hold the revs where the noise is loudest then hunt around. Watch your hands though... Safety first :thumbs:

Thanks for your reply Lee :thumbs:

Is that a bad thing? Is it a big job? I was thinking its a heatshield too! Initially I thought it was a release bearing, but that shouldn't be rev related should it?

I'll have to sniff around and see...don't worry I'll try not to poke my hands around in the wrong places ;)

I got a new exhaust system fitted on a few weeks ago, can this be related to that?

Any other possibilities?