Any ICE Gurus???

D4XNY

Basically I just bought a 4ohm 1000w RMS - 3000w Peak Subwoofer.

I been told the ideal wattage is prob around 600w

I then bought a 1300w mononblock amp

Max power at 1ohm = 1300w

RMS Power at 1ohm = 1x750w

RMS Power at 2ohm = 1x600w

RMS Power at 4ohm = 1x300w

Now its in the car all wired up.... and its cool

But I cant help but think it could be louder.....

The amp has 2 lines of output

- - + +

For 4ohm you wire the sub to the - and + in the middle which i believe gives you 300w RMS (This is how it is set up now)

For 2ohm i believe you swap the +'s which will give me 600wRMS (which is what my sub should be running)

- - + +

Now is this safe to do? Or will I blow something up??

Cheers for any advice

Dan

Swapping the --++ on the amp wont make any difference, these are normally linked internally and theres 2 just so you can run 2 sets of wires. To get 600w you need to wire the subwoofer to be a 2ohm load.

What subwoofer and amp are we talking about? Is the subwoofer dual voice coil?

Its a vibe space sub with a vibe slick a7 amp

I believe the sub to be single voice coil, though im not entirely sure, i bought it cos it comes in a shallow box so its all ported already and just has a positive and negative out the back....

The space is a dual so should be a dual 4 and wired up to be 2ohm so you should already be getting 600w from the amp. Does it not say on the sub terminals what load it is?

+1 but it also may be its a space sub in a tiny box.

Your sub has 4 ohm impedance and I am assuming it is a Single voice coil judging by the connectors

The amp you have is a 2 channel amp so what you want to do is bridge the channels into one. In other words connect one wire to the negative of one channel and positve of the other. This should be obvious which one when you look at the engraved labelling on the amp.

The way you can only have it configured is 1 x 300W RMS because of the impedance of your sub (@ 4ohm)

Basically you aren't even swaeting your amp! You would need another one of those boxes and wire it in parallel to get a nominal impedance of 2ohms to get more power out of the amp (600W RMS)

If you want to go crazy then to get the most out of the amp with the subs you have you would need 4 of them to gain a nominal impedance of 1ohm!

With that kind of setup you will be hated by your neighbourhood within a 3 mile raduis!

Your sub has 4 ohm impedance and I am assuming it is a Single voice coil judging by the connectors

The amp you have is a 2 channel amp so what you want to do is bridge the channels into one. In other words connect one wire to the negative of one channel and positve of the other. This should be obvious which one when you look at the engraved labelling on the amp.

The way you can only have it configured is 1 x 300W RMS because of the impedance of your sub (@ 4ohm)

Basically you aren't even swaeting your amp! You would need another one of those boxes and wire it in parallel to get a nominal impedance of 2ohms to get more power out of the amp (600W RMS)

If you want to go crazy then to get the most out of the amp with the subs you have you would need 4 of them to gain a nominal impedance of 1ohm!

With that kind of setup you will be hated by your neighbourhood within a 3 mile raduis!

1300wrms is that loud!

TBH if you want it louder your better off specing a sub and box which suits your power and music needs. Something like a 10" higher end sub would be good with about 0.5-1cuft of air space in a box.

The A7 isnt 2 channel its a monoblock amp.

The sub you have is a single voice coil and therefore only 4ohm which isnt really suited to the A7. Vibe claim big numbers but they often dont sound it, just because it has a peak 3000w doesnt mean its a loud sub, if space was an issue then a JL 10" would of been better suited as these perform well in small sealed enclosures.