Howdy, roof problems

Pete the wheel

Hi folks, long time no chat, the 350z has been off the rd all winter, covered up.

Decided to get sorted for the spring, so fired her up yesterday, mot this morning, passed straight away.

However, on collection i thought id lower the roof, did so no problem but noticed a light on below the fuel guage.

Drove home, raised roof, goes well until the boot cover goes down, then nothing, so the last stage, ie back window does not close, everything else is fine.

Had a good nose round and cant seem to see a manual realise button like the wife has on her peugeots, ive no manual as the car is a import.

Any ideas, even if just to get it closed, these things always happen on a sat pm hey, when everything is closed, just really want to make it safe for the weekend.

Thanks in advance guys.

Finally something I know about. :lol:

Firstly, it weill benefit from a good application of silicon on the joints. Thats the job for when you have some spare time. Then open and close it with the engine runing.

There is a release on the UK car so assuming the JDM is the same, look in the cubby behind the passenger seat, the big one. With the passenger seat right forward you should be able to see a plastic cover in the top of the cubby. In there is a toggle, pul it and this should release the mechanism and allow you to open or close it fully.

Once it has been put in open or closed the roof should reset and allow normal operation.

Let me know how it goes. :thumbs:

Well, 7 hrs later and im still no further that I was this morning.

Roof now closed apart from last 2 inches, and it now wont do anything, ie open or close.

Ive dabbed grease on just about anything that moves, taken all electrical connecters apart, checked and put back, ive disconnected battery for a few hrs, sworn at it, been nice to it, said a few prayers, read just about every post on tinterweb about dodgy roofs, and still nothing.

So ive put a tarp over car and come in for a beer. Bless, I was so chuffed as well as she started first time after almost 4 months under a cover, and she sailed through mot this morning.

Did fit a new battery day before she was parked up, not sure if that anything to do with it.

Call to Nissan stealers monday me thinks.

Anyway, enough about roofs, hows you lot, is that dodgy Nixy bird still about then. Have I missed anything exciting during the long winter months.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Nissan unable to take a look for over 10 days, must be lots of broken down Nissans at the moment.

So, yesterday I spent 6 hrs stripping just about every part of roof down, greased everything and sprayed wd40 like it was going out of fashion into all the plugs,motors and connecters.

Put all back together, it worked and closed, great, oh no, the knob in me decided to see if it would open, it did, then wouldnt close. Oh im such a muppet.

Cue 4 hrs today doing it all again, quicker as I knew what I was doing, fingers crossed it now works a dream, must have done about 25 open/close run throughs and all looks well.

Im guessing it was just a dodgy connecter, due to car sitting all winter with cover on.

Sad to say car will be going on market in the next week or two, fancy itching the evo x itch for some reason, ill proberly regret it as soon as I part with my money, its either that or get another GTR, but we all know that dodgy ground.

Cheers for your help Martin.