'03 JDM Bose + GROM iPod/USB/aux adapter problems!

cb350

I've been trying to find a neat way to get an aux-in to my standard Bose 6 CD system.. I wanted to keep things as OEM as possible, don't really fancy messing around with the internals of the unit to hack into the tape deck, and I thought I'd found a better solution. I got one of these:

http://www.carputer-shop.co.uk/usb-aux- ... issan-p-45

The compatibility guide says it works with the 350z.. I'm aware that the UK spec cars have the required socket missing, but I had a look at the back of my '03 JDM 350z's stereo and, sure enough, it looked like I had the right thing. Here's the back of my stereo, with the connector from the GROM audio device plugged in:

5337356021_a740e6c5e2.jpg

Install was easy enough. I then went ahead and plugged my ipod in. Turning the ignition on brought power to the ipod, and it started charging. However, that's as far as I got. Reading other threads I understood that if I pressed the 'CD6' button twice, the stereo would now select the GROM device and I'd start hearing the ipod. However, pressing the CD6 button more than once has no effect.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to reset the stereo somehow?

Failing something obvious I'm missing, maybe this is incompatible with '03 JDM? If so, what are the sockets on the back of the unit for?

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with using this device or something similar? I'm at a bit of a loss :(

Chris.

why dont you do the ipod mod for the bose system.

theres a guide on here, all you do is solder the aux lead to the circuit board for the tape part of it. you then use a dummy tape and it plays the ipod then, doesnt charge it though, but its a easy mod and well worth it.

Their application guide is inaccurate which should ring alarm bells. The 350Z was launched in 2002 and not sold "99-01". Also the 99-07 Sentra had an integrated slim-line head unit not double DIN.

Does it work if you plug in a USB stick with MP3s on it? I assume you bought the optional iPod cable?

The stock unit only provides very basic control/display and a new modern head unit with proper iPod integration wouldn't cost much more! Alternatively the tape deck aux-in costs peanuts, works brilliantly, and soldering 3 wires is hardly "messing around" ;)

Their application guide is inaccurate which should ring alarm bells. The 350Z was launched in 2002 and not sold "99-01". Also the 99-07 Sentra had an integrated slim-line head unit not double DIN.

Does it work if you plug in a USB stick with MP3s on it? I assume you bought the optional iPod cable?

The stock unit only provides very basic control/display and a new modern head unit with proper iPod integration wouldn't cost much more! Alternatively the tape deck aux-in costs peanuts, works brilliantly, and soldering 3 wires is hardly "messing around" ;)

just dont drop a blob of solder on the sofa, then panic and try and pick it up, it was either burn my finger or the wife kills me.

Thanks, yeah I do know about the tape deck mod, I was just trying to avoid hacking into the tape deck if this would work instead, which gives me USB, iPod and aux-in all with one box and basic control still being maintained on the head unit. I'm also building a car pc so later down the line I was going to fit that into the satnav cubby.

I'm aware that the compatibility guide isn't correct on the site, GROM audio had a better compatibility guide which correctly listed the 350z years. I have to admit I was looking at buying a different one first, but bought this on the basis that I could get it in the UK rather than ordering from the states.

Actually, I haven't tried a USB stick yet, which is probably a bit stupid, so I'll give that a go today and see how I get on :)

If this is just not going to work then I'll probably send it back and go for the tape deck mod, at least I can say I tried it and it's not compatible. Still, it seems odd because I have the correct sockets on the back of the unit, I figured they must do something! :wacko:

Chris.

well, it just got weirder - I went to show my brother it didn't work, hit the CD6 button twice and it switched to CD Changer mode!

I then started the iPod, all looked well, it was working, changing tracks, etc, then suddenly I couldn't use the volume any more and some of the other buttons locked up. Changing tracks still worked though. I switched it to FM and that was it, dead again. Bye bye GROM audio.

Just checking out the USB now. Maybe the unit thinks nothing is connected so isn't switching on properly. Very odd/rubbish/almost-but-not-quite compatible.

Chris.