Storing the Z for 2 months

gort

You tend to go somewhere every time you start your car up which warms it up properly. Sitting on a driveway ticking over for half an hour trying to warm it up, or worse still revving it from cold is just generally not a good idea. Condensation in the exhaust etc, etc. Even most handbooks will tell you to start the car and drive away, not to leave it ticking over from cold. IIRC the Z book says wait for 30 seconds (presumably to let the oil circulate and come up to pressure) then drive. Not saying it will kill the engine or anything, just not something that is recommended.

As for the other things, agreed, not really necessary for a short term lay-up. But batteries can cause problems with drains from alarms and clocks etc, it's why airport car parks have jump start facilities on hand, and that is just after a week or two.

Anyway, I think the jobs done now. Like Gort said, he's just done the battery so good to go when he gets back. :thumbs:

You tend to go somewhere every time you start your car up which warms it up properly. Sitting on a driveway ticking over for half an hour trying to warm it up, or worse still revving it from cold is just generally not a good idea. Condensation in the exhaust etc, etc.

Is that true? From an engine point of view I would have thought the lower the RPM when cold the less damage done, I'd much prefer my engine lasted longer rather than trying to save my exhaust.

When driving, yes. Until it's warmed up properly. Not at tickover. It's not a choice of exhaust or engine, it's well known that short, stop start journeys will rot an exhaust, also that cold starts are when the majority of engine wear occurs. The choice was between disconnecting the battery, job done, or multiple cold starts for no good reason other than to charge the battery. :doh:

I'd prefer to protect both my engine and exhaust....and my battery.

:bang: