DIY: Road Angel Install

Guest prescience

Guest prescience

Sourced from information posted by SinisterClown (blue text)

[Please advise the Moderators of any issues with posting this since it has not been possible to contact SinisterClown as he is in South Africa at present]

Neatly installing a RA2 is simplicity itself and a 5 minute job.

I don't like taking cars to bits as I always think that they never go back together quite as well as beforehand. This install only requires you to remove one piece of trim and requires no tools other than a lolly stick or similar.

roadangel1.jpg

Guest prescience

Firstly, gently remove the plastic trim next to the door kick plate starting at the end closest to the seat belt. This is just clipped in with about 5 plastic lugs and you can remove it by gently pulling it upwards with your hand. Work along the plate unclipping each lug until the whole piece is removed.

roadangel2.jpg

Guest prescience

Next hide the cable. The RA2 comes with two cigar lighter power cords - use the longer one. Install this as shown in the picture below. You will also need to mount the self adhesive disc as well at this stage, remember to leave enough slack on the cable so that you can unplug the RA2 when you want to remove the unit or hide it in the car. The RA2 has a magnetic base so sticks to the metal enclosed in the plastic coated disc shown.

roadangel3.jpg

Guest prescience

The RA2 cable tucks neatly and snugly into the dashboard seam - you may need to push it into the seam using a lolly stick or similar blunt device. Once in it seems to stay put and needs no glue or similar to keep it out of sight.

You run the cable all the way down the seam until it reaches the door trim you have just removed.

roadangel4.jpg

Guest prescience

Hide under the door trim and replace the trim starting at the end closest to the engine. Before re-clicking the final lug, using the lolly stick, gently lift the plastic trim at the foot of the seatbelt and slide the cable beneath this. You may wish to put some tape on the cable at the point at which it leaves the trim to prevent it digging into the cable over time.

roadangel5.jpg

Guest prescience

You then plug into the rear cigar lighter slot. Purely by chance my wire was the perfect length and did not need cutting.

I did not bother to hard wire as you can't see the rear cigar slot once you are seated in the vehicle, even when you look in the mirror.

The rear cigar point is linked to the ignition so you can leave a RA2 installed without flattening the battery.

roadangel6.jpg