OBDII reader issues?

SunGodRA

Hi guys - I have heard a rumour that the standard OBDII reader doesn't work on early imports, and only the CAN-BUS and Consult work - is there any truth to this? I was planning on getting an ELM327 which is supposed to support the following OBD2 protocols:

J1850 VPW

J1850 PWM

ISO9141-2

ISO14230-4 (KWP2000)

ISO15756-4 (CAN-BUS)

Anyone got an ELM327? Anyone got a standard OBDII reader in the South East area that I could plug in and test?

Thanks, David

AFAIK all JDM imports run can bus, and the protocol is JOBD which can be a pain for finding the right reader, i bought an Innovate LM-3 partly because i wanted another widebamd lambda set up, and partly because it was supposed to read most protocols, and then found it won't deal with JOBD.

I ended up buying the Blazt cable and software,

I am in Hastings East Sussex, so not too far from you, so if you want me to run a diagnostic check on your Z then let me know :)

AFAIK all JDM imports run can bus, and the protocol is JOBD which can be a pain for finding the right reader, i bought an Innovate LM-3 partly because i wanted another widebamd lambda set up, and partly because it was supposed to read most protocols, and then found it won't deal with JOBD.

I ended up buying the Blazt cable and software,

I am in Hastings East Sussex, so not too far from you, so if you want me to run a diagnostic check on your Z then let me know :)

Cheers Ricky - I might take you up on your kind offer! :thumbs:

Since posting this I have also looked at the Blazt cable and software and it seems as if this is the way to go (thanks to Hynder/Alan for info).

From what I can gather the Blazt was designed for the Nissan CANbus and can therefore pick up far more info that the standard OBDII.

Is you Blazt linked up to a CarPC or do you just plug in a laptop when needed?

David

Just plugged in when needed, i did think about integrating an old laptop to the screen in my 350GT but it was too fiddly, the cable and software can access a lot of info, but its limited to the known ECU addresses, obviously the Blazt developers and users look at locating more.

But its pretty comprehensive, and the data logging is very useful too.

obviously the Blazt developers and users look at locating more.

But its pretty comprehensive, and the data logging is very useful too.

Good to see Kiwi software, like the BlaZt software being used in the UK. :thumbs:

There is some very good software and devices that come from NZ, i used to use the FC-Datalogit, and edit, with my turbo Nissan's :thumbs: