Longleat Red Bull Air Race 2nd Sept 2006 - who's going?

stevie_350z

Have tickets, will travel. I'm in Staines, and will be setting off early. Anyone fancy meeting up?

Cheers!

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm just across in Richmond.

Which way were you thinking of going?

I would normally go along the M3 and then take the A303 over.

If that's the way you were planning on going why don't we meet at a service station along the M3? I think the Fleet services isn't that far out of London.

Any other suggestions welcome...........

Hmmm... I'm in the red car park - it says on the instructions to take M4 J17, then local roads. Are you travelling 303 cos its more fun? Might not be on Sat!

What time are you setting off? We weren't planning to be there until lunch, but are flexible.

I would love to meet up and go in convoy! I need to get up early and clean the motor!

:p

Hmmm... I'm in the red car park - it says on the instructions to take M4 J17, then local roads. Are you travelling 303 cos its more fun? Might not be on Sat!

What time are you setting off? We weren't planning to be there until lunch, but are flexible.

I would love to meet up and go in convoy! I need to get up early and clean the motor!

:p

I'm in the Red carpark too. Information I have says to go

A303(Westbound), A36 and A350 or

M4 (Junction 17) and A350

Either way A350 is our designated road into the event. Don't mind which way we go. Would like to meet up and go in convoy too. Whatever is easiest for you will be good for me.

I was going to leave the house at about 9. It's normally about a 2 hour drive down. With the traffic say about 2 1/2+, so there at 12 at the latest. Walk and you're there for the first display at 12:15 :thumbs:

If you do fancy going by the M3, A303 route we could meet at the Fleet service at about 9:45. The AA say it's a 1hr 20mins from there to Longleat so that give an extra hour for traffic.

If you fancy some other way then let me know and I'll be more than happy to go with that.

Two things,

Will the planes not scare the animals?

What if someone has a small problem and lands in the lion enclosure?

Cars drive throught animals enclosures all day long and Longleat is a huge place. More than enough room to not disturb them. :thumbs:

If he does land in the Lions enclosure he'll hit a tree before he gets anywhere near the ground so therefore the lions would be the last thing that he would be thinking about. :scare:

Well well......

Quick review of the day and some pics.....

Day started at 8:30 when we left the house and headed out to meet Stevie at the services to travel down. We met up at an extremely busy Fleet services (really good to meet you and your girlfriend and a lovely car too)

Then the journey really started. Had some fun on the way down but soon met the traffic and the other 100,000 other people going to the Air Race.

Crawled along for the next 6 hours. Yes its not a typo. 6 hours!

Apparently there had been a lot of accidents around the Longleat area, although we didn't see anything.

Soon there were people doing U-turns in the traffic and giving up and going home. Stevie eventually decided quite rightly to follow them and head home too.

My girlfriend and I decided we'd stick it out and hope to see something. At around 3:30, we go closer to Longleat, the police informed us that the event had been delayed due to the weather and they were going to try and start the Air Race about 4 - 4:30 as they had been told that the weather would start to clear. This cheered us up a little. It took us another hour to get the last 10 miles into the car park.

On our way from the car park on the 15 minute walk to the spectator areas we heard the announcement that the Air Race had finally been cancelled and everyone was to go home. Desperately need a toliet we battle through the thousands for people going in the opposite direction.

We hung around for an hour or so to let the masses leave the carpark and grabbed a bite to eat before heading back to the car for another 3 1/2 hour drive home.

All in all a pretty bad day.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Sorry to here that, but the good news is you get your £35 back (I could not go but got a text saying my money would be refunded)

Yeh £35 back for the ticket but nothing for the £55 it cost me in petrol to sit in the traffic all day!