odometer reading..........

stuey

wen these jdm get a sva cert they change the speedo with a new clock face so it reads mph....... do they also change the odometer from kms to miles....... :blush:

they dont change the speedo face :blush:

they stick a small piece of black tape over the K on the KM/H, and put a speedo convertor chip in the rear of the speedo head unit.. they wont have changed the oddometer reading if they have any sense as it is illegal to do so... The original oddo reading will have been in Kms :)

Guest prescience

If I understand you right, that means that it overreads by about 60% for the number of miles which were covered prior to the change :)

If I understand you right, that means that it overreads by about 60% for the number of miles which were covered prior to the change :)

yep if your car has 16000kms on the clock, it means its done 10000miles and after that it just clicks up in miles, best probably to make a note of when you take possesion, the Kms reading; so when sold you can confuse the next owner totally :thumbs::headhurt:

Blind em with science., baffle em with bullsh1t

Ok - I'm slightly confused. My speedo obviously has a chip to convert to MP/H and has the K blacked out with tape as previously mentioned, and like everyone else with a JDM the odometer displays KM/H but obviously speed is determined in MP/H - Right? So when I bought my JDM it had 8500 miles on the clock. I have now got on my display 14500 miles. What is my correct total mileage I have covered? I thought it is what my speedo says it's done - 14500? or would it be less - i.e. determined from when the car was SVA'd (example if my car was SVA'd on 8500 miles this was actually a KM figure - and therefore 14500 miles showing now includes a 8500 KM figure also? )

Again - I hope this makes enough sense for someone to clarify. I guess it doesn't really matter but wouldn't mind knowing for piece of mind I suppose?

Cheers

Nick

This is how I beleive it works....

If your odometer reading when the car was converted was 8500 - this was KM.

Therefor 5281 miles.

From this point onward it clocks up in miles, so...

14500 minus the original 8500 equals 6000. These 6000 are actual miles. The first 8500 are km, (5281 miles).

So your true mileage = 5281 + 6000 = 11281.

Therefor 5281 miles.

14500 minus the original 8500 equals 6000. These 6000 are actual miles. The first 8500 are km, (5281 miles).

:#1::clap:

• 1 month later...

Therefor 5281 miles.

:#1::clap:

Thanks for explaining that for a minute I thought maybe they drove the car from Japan to the UK, hence the miles ;)