Free Air Subwoofers

whitey

Hello,

It looks like my ICE project is going to cost a little more than i first thought! ie new amp etc

Is anyone out there using a free air subwoofer instead of the Bose subwoofer? (ie no enclosure is needed).

Are these any good? Any recommendations?

Hello, Thanks for the replies.

I'm a little confused to what type of sub I require really. I would like a direct replacement for the Bose one that sounds good and doesn't break the bank too much!

After looking into free air subs it appears that they use the whole of your boot area, like a large enclosure, this is impossible in my z.

Is the location of the Bose Sub an enclosed compartment? And is there an aftermarket sub that will just fit in there with no extra work required other than some sound deadening material?

a free air sub doesnt need an enclosed boot as free air is not the correct name really they are infinite baffal.... as long as the front of the sub is fully seperated from the back it will work. theres enough volume back there but you will need to make a mounting plate as mounting directly to that metal will shake and vibrate liek crazy! also it has some holes in it that would need covering but then it should be plain slam dunk install. how well it would work i dont know as there lots of stuff back there that may or may not make some funny vibes , try it and see is i guess the onyl way for sure to know.

Thanks,

Is the standard Bose sub a free air (infinite baffle) sub then?

I've just popped the Bose sub out and had a good look, I could easily cover the holes in the enclosure to seal it, it's just what type of sub I'd definitely need to buy.

yes the bose is a free air sub if you cna call it a sub , as youve popped it out im sur your now well aware why it sounds feable !

a 10" free air would drop right in with an mdf baffle to mount to , only issue is finding one in your price range as they arent very common so you may end up going over budget or very cheap.

just what ever you do dont be tempted to try a non free air designed sub as youl wreck it with no enclosure to provide the suspension.