Removing drivers door card with door closed, Help!

stuRS

Hello all.

I posted here recently that my drivers door will not open from either inside or out. the outside handle has no resistance so i think something has snapped or come loose.

Anyway, i need to take the door card off to get to the mechanism but i cannot open the door.

Can any of you guys who have removed their door cards tell me if this is possible? I was hoping I could remove the internal door handle seperately and pull the lock cables with some long nosed pliers - any thoughts?

I'm really pi**ed off with this to be honest, you don't expect this kind of buggering around on an expensive modern jap car :rant:

Mine has been off loads but never with the door closed...

Have you removed the top of the cushioned arm rest? Just put your fingers underneath and pull up, you may be able to get your fingers in.

Also if you remove the screws that are in the finger recess and below the switches, you may be able to pull the top bit away enough to get your fingers in...

Still trying to remember if the drivers side door card I have is the good one or the bad one of the set I have... If is a good one, then your welcome to it if you want to drive over, then we can just cut yours off... Will have a look tonight if you can wait.

That's great, cheers!

I'm half way up the country at the moment but will be back in Essex tonight. I need to get it sorted asap so will try and strip the door tomorrow evening.

Do you know what the difference between the two cables is? Not sure which one I should be yanking.

As much info as to how the lock mechanism works would be great, the American forums are all I've got at the moment and I don't speak idiot :lol:

I'm going to try and tackle this when I get back from work, but it would be really helpful if someone who has taken the drivers door card off before could confirm the following for me:

Are there any clips or screws that I won't be able to access (by the dash?)

Does it lift up and off easily or is it a pain in the arse?

Is it flexible enough for me to pull it back and access the cables?

Am I wasting my time as the seat will be in the way anyway?

I'd much rather call on you lot than hack my car up trying to find out the answers!

If I can get this sorted I will do a guide for future sufferers

Theres nothing that you need to un-do that you cant get too, however, to remove it requires you being able to prize it out at the bottom of the door card first before it will lift up. This may be very tricky with the door closed. There are two steel cables behind the door card, one is for the actual looking mechanism and the other is to release the catch. I dont think from reading about your problem that these will help. So you will probably have to remove the main cover on the door which gives you access the the window mechanism, this is just bolt on but be aware that there are 2 bolts which hold the window glider in which dont need to be removed. Once this is off you may be able to get to the door mechanism. Make sure you have a small mirror and a light sorch as its gonna be very tight to see in there. I wish you good luck am very interested to know what is causing your problem as i cant see much that can go wrong the actual mechanism, i hope its something as simple as one of the steel cables has snapped. :thumbs: