U1001 Error Code and wiring problems

Vertakill

Brought my car to someone to read some error codes off my dash in order to get to the bottom of my "ABS/TCS/Slip Off" lights being lit on my dash.

The error he got would coincide with the complete lack of communication between the car and my ELM327.

The code is "U1001 - CAN Communication" and the possible reasons behind it are "Wiring".

Now, this car has been absolutely plagued with wiring issues from the first day I got it nearly 2 years ago.

I'm the 4th owner of a 2002 JDM. So far, the noteworthy wiring related things are:

MPH/KMH Converter (UK)

Fog Light (UK)

Delimiter (UK)

Harman Kardon iPod connector (UK)

2 Radios (UK/JP) [1 Jap radio worked which had millions of wires behind it - UK one was not powered due to last owner not being arsed]

- Entire dash (every dial) dropped and car cut out. Resolved after finding some wires not fully pushed in in the wiring loom which caused alternator not to charge battery. Both the MPH/KMH converter and the (piece of sh1t) Harmon Kardon iPod thing were situated beside the wiring loom.

- The alarm was giving issues early on (going off randomly without warning). Resolved after pinpointing the bonnet alarm switch had ceased, tricking the alarm into thinking the bonnet was being opened while alarm was armed. Disconnected switch and covered up wire.

- Took out the Harman Kardon iPod Drive+Play thing because it, one day, decided to stay completely illuminated while the car was turned off and the keys out.

(http://media.arstechnica.com/reviews/ha ... t_shot.jpg)

- ABS / TCS / Slip Off lights all illuminated whilst driving normally. Not resolved to this day.

- Found a pool of water in back corner of the boot which may have wet a couple wires that were connected to a battery that (I think?) is related to the rear fog lamp. Resolved after sealing some of the spoiler's screws and couple other places.

- Took out the Jap radio because it was really old and awful (Jap must've swapped out the original JDM HU). Installed the much newer, better and never-connected Sony radio that was sitting in the slot below the Jap radio after I got the ISO adapters etc to install it.

- Recently realised that my parking lights/side lamps were not working due to a blown fuse which happened after installing latest radio. Resolved after finding Illumination wire on radio was wired incorrectly.

All those 'incidents' are in chronological order.

I know that's quite a lot of info to take in so thanks if you've gotten this far!

Any help or advice about what could be causing this error code would be much appreciated.

Oh doesnt look like your having much fun,

"- ABS / TCS / Slip Off lights all illuminated whilst driving normally. Not resolved to this day."

This could be a number of things, the simplist to solve would be to check your brake fluid level, if its low these lights will light up. Otherwise who know what it could be, abs system? tc system

im sure someone maybe along soon

Thanks Darren.

I tried the brake fluid level a while ago with no joy.

I think I'm close to exhausting all the possible theories (there's dozens!) on the problem at this point.

The idea of getting my own code reader was to sort this ABS/TCS/Slip thing out but seeing as I'm getting this CAN error, I think they may be related.

Either way, I need to get the CAN thing sorted first as it'll help pinpoint the ABS/TCS/Slip issue.

Yeah me too.

I got my car NCT'd last week (Irish version of MOT) and it passed everything (including the brakes test) except the lights and the ABS warning light on a 'visual retest' basis. So it's a free retest that involves me popping into them and they'll come out and see if my lights are working (which they are coz I resolved that last night!) and the ABS error on my dash is gone.

However, if I don't get it back to them before the 10th of October, I have to get the full test done again (and pay the 50 euro fee again) and the waiting list for the NCT is about 3 weeks.

We're also getting penalty points in Ireland now if we're stopped by the police without a NCT certificate.. :/